Finding the Velocity of the Final Chunk in an Exploding Hockey Puck Scenario

• Thread starter Taximes
  • Start date
In summary: I'm assuming it explodes at the originIn summary, using the concept of conservation of momentum, the velocity of the final chunk can be found by setting up equations in the direction of the first two chunks. This can be done by taking the total initial momentum, which is equal to the total final momentum, and setting up the equations along the x and y axes, with the assumption that the explosion occurs at the origin. This will help determine the momenta along the x and y directions for the third piece, and ultimately the velocity of the final chunk can be found.
Taximes

Homework Statement

A hockey puck of mass 4m has been rigged to explode as part of a practical joke. Initially the puck is at rest on a frictionless ice rink. Then it bursts into three pieces. One chunk of mass m slides across the ice at speed v. Another chunk of mass 2m slides across the ice at speed 2v, in a direction at right angles to the direction of the first piece. From this information, find the velocity of the final chunk.

Homework Equations

This is from the chapter on momentum, collisions and impulse, but I'm not sure which equations to use.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm really not sure where to start.

I drew a diagram, and intuitively assumed that the third piece goes off at a 135 degree angle to the other two pieces, but I'm not sure about that or how to prove it if it is right. It obviously has mass m (4m - m - 2m), though.

I also assumed that the force of the explosion is equal on all chunks, but realized that's wrong since the higher mass chunk has the highest velocity.

I was thinking that change in momentum is the impulse, and since momentum is 0 initially for all chunks, the impulse should be mv for chunk 1 and 4mv for chunk two...but then I'm at a loss for how to relate that to chunk 3.

I'd really appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The total initial momentum is equal to the total final momentum. Take the x-axis along the dirn of m and the y-axis along the dirn of the 2m mass. If the speed of the 3rd piece is v, then what are the momenta along x and y?

You could write conservation of momentum equations in the directions of the first two chunks ...

1. What causes a hockey puck to explode?

A hockey puck can explode due to a combination of factors, such as extreme temperature changes, excessive air pressure inside the puck, or manufacturing defects.

2. Is an exploding hockey puck dangerous?

Yes, an exploding hockey puck can be dangerous as it can release fragments of plastic or rubber at high speeds, which can cause injury to players or spectators.

3. How often do hockey pucks explode?

Hockey pucks exploding is a rare occurrence, but it has happened in professional games and during manufacturing and testing processes.

4. Can an exploding hockey puck cause damage to the rink or equipment?

Yes, an exploding hockey puck can cause damage to the rink or equipment, such as breaking glass or damaging the boards, depending on the force of the explosion.

5. What safety measures are in place to prevent hockey pucks from exploding?

Hockey puck manufacturers have strict quality control processes to ensure that pucks are not over-pressurized and are made with high-quality materials. Additionally, players and spectators are advised to wear appropriate protective gear to minimize the risk of injury in case of an exploding puck.