Kinetic Energy on Pulley/Incline System

In summary, two blocks with masses 50 kg and 100 kg are connected by a string over a frictionless pulley. The 50 kg block slides on a 37 degree incline with a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.25. The system is released from rest with a force of 25 N pulling down on the 100 kg block. The change in kinetic energy of block m1 as it moves a distance of 20 m up the incline is calculated using the formula ΔK + ΔUg1 + ΔUg2 = Wfriction + Wapplied. The calculated values for Wfriction, Ug1, Ug2, and Wapplied do not result in the expected answer of 409
spacecataz
Hey, this is my first time posting on PhysicsForums! I usually go through the archives but I couldn't find a problem like this.

Two blocks m1 and m2 with masses 50 kg and 100 kg respectively are connected by a string over a pulley that is frictionless with negligible mass. The 50 kg block slides on a 37 degree incline that has a coefficient of kinetic friction of .25. The system is released from rest with a force of 25 N pulling down on the 100 kg block. Calculate the change in kinetic energy of block m1 as it moves a distance of 20 m up the incline.

I think I'm supposed to use this:
[tex]\Delta K + \Delta U_{g1}+\Delta U_{g2} = W_{friction} + W_{applied}[/tex]

So far I have
[tex]W_{friction} = -\mu m_{1}gcos(\Theta)d [/tex]
[tex]W_{applied} = Fd [/tex]
[tex]\Delta U_{g1} = m_{1}gdsin(\Theta) [/tex]
[tex]\Delta U_{g2} = m_{2}gd[/tex]

The answer is supposed to be 4090 J but when I crank out the numbers I don't get that.
What am I missing?! I've stared at this problem for too long. Thank for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
When the systen is released from the rest, they must have the same acceleration. Using free body diagram find the acceleration.
You have given the answer.But you didn't show any calculation. How should I where you are missing?

Here are the numbers I get...
Wf = -1956.6
Ug1 = 5897.8
Ug2 = 19600
Wapp = 500

Also, doing what you said, I found the acceleration to be 5.88 which I used kinematics to find the velocity and then the kinetic energy but got 1150.

What's the problem!?

Some information is missing; where is m2? Dangling off the pulley?

spacecataz said:
I think I'm supposed to use this:
[tex]\Delta K + \Delta U_{g1}+\Delta U_{g2} = W_{friction} + W_{applied}[/tex]
That should work, as long as you realize that [itex]\Delta K[/itex] is the KE of both masses.

So far I have
[tex]W_{friction} = -\mu m_{1}gcos(\Theta)d [/tex]
[tex]W_{applied} = Fd [/tex]
Good.
[tex]\Delta U_{g1} = m_{1}gdsin(\Theta) [/tex]
[tex]\Delta U_{g2} = m_{2}gd[/tex]
That second one should be negative, since m2 moves down.

Wfriction = mu*m1*g*sin(theta)*d. Component of g along the inclined plane is
gsin(theta). And the pulling force must be 25N in addition of its weight.Try again.

rl.bhat said:
Wfriction = mu*m1*g*sin(theta)*d. Component of g along the inclined plane is
gsin(theta).
No. The friction force is mu*N = mu*m1*g*cos(theta).

And the pulling force must be 25N in addition of its weight.
No. By considering gravitational PE, the effect of the weight is automatically included.

Yes.You are right.

Also, doing what you said, I found the acceleration to be 5.88 which I used kinematics to find the velocity and then the kinetic energy but got 1150.
If you assume that 25N force is applied to 100kg mass by adding some mass to it. And that mass will be 25/9.8 = 2.55kg. So by taking total mass as 102.55kg I got the acceleration as 5.79ms^-2. 50 kg mass start from rest and covers 20m with acceleration 5.79ms^-2. Using the formula
v^2 = u^2 + 2as = 2*5.79*20. And KE = 1/2*50*2*5.79*20. = 5790J.

spacecataz said:
Also, doing what you said, I found the acceleration to be 5.88
Please show how you got that acceleration. (I get a different value.)
rl.bhat said:
If you assume that 25N force is applied to 100kg mass by adding some mass to it. And that mass will be 25/9.8 = 2.55kg.
An applied force of 25N is not equivalent to adding 2.55 kg of mass. This is an incorrect approach.

What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is calculated as one half of the mass of the object multiplied by the square of its velocity.

How is kinetic energy related to pulley/incline systems?

In a pulley/incline system, kinetic energy is related to the motion of objects that are being pulled or lifted by the system. As the objects move, they gain kinetic energy due to their velocity.

How does the mass of an object affect its kinetic energy in a pulley/incline system?

The mass of an object directly affects its kinetic energy in a pulley/incline system. The greater the mass, the greater the kinetic energy, assuming the velocity remains constant.

What is the role of gravity in a pulley/incline system?

Gravity is the force responsible for the motion in a pulley/incline system. It pulls the objects down and causes them to gain kinetic energy as they move down the incline or are lifted by the pulley.

How can the kinetic energy in a pulley/incline system be calculated?

The kinetic energy in a pulley/incline system can be calculated using the formula KE = 1/2mv^2, where KE is kinetic energy, m is the mass of the object, and v is the velocity of the object. This formula can be applied to each object in the system and then added together to find the total kinetic energy.