Subatomic rotations in a plane Abelian group

In summary, the Z boson has a width of 2.4952 GeV and decays 3.363% of the time into e+e-. The calculated partial width for this decay is 0.084 GeV. The J/psi particle, which is a cc-bar state, has a width of 93.4 KeV. Its lifetime is longer than the Z boson's lifetime due to its larger energy. The J/psi lifetimes can be calculated, but without further information, it is not possible to provide an accurate calculation.
genloz

Homework Statement

5. The Z boson has a width of 2.4952 GeV:
a. The Z decays 3.363% of the time in e+e-calculate the partial width of
[tex]Z \rightarrow e+e-[/tex].
b. The
[tex]J/ \psi[/tex] (A cc bar state) has a width of 93.4 KeV. Is its lifetime is longer or shorter than the Z lifetime? Explain.
c. Calculate the
[tex]J/ \psi[/tex] lifetimes.

Homework Equations

None given.

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) I think: 2.4952/100*3.363=0.084GeV is correct but I'm not sure why?

(b) I figure a bigger E means a smaller t, so it would be longer, but again I'm not sure of the physics...

(c) I have no idea how to start... does
[tex]J/ \psi[/tex] lifetimes have another more google friendly search name?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Whoops, I typed in the wrong title and now can't work out how to change it...sorry!

1. What is a subatomic rotation in a plane Abelian group?

A subatomic rotation in a plane Abelian group is a type of symmetry operation that involves rotating a subatomic particle or system in a two-dimensional space. This type of rotation is often used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of particles at the subatomic level.

2. How does a subatomic rotation affect the properties of a particle?

A subatomic rotation can change the orientation or position of a particle, but it does not affect its intrinsic properties such as mass, charge, or spin. This is because these properties are independent of the particle's position or orientation in space.

3. What is the significance of a plane Abelian group in subatomic rotations?

A plane Abelian group is a mathematical structure that describes the symmetries of a two-dimensional space. In the context of subatomic rotations, this group is used to represent the different possible orientations and positions of a particle.

4. Can subatomic rotations be observed in experiments?

Yes, subatomic rotations can be observed indirectly through the effects they have on particle interactions and measurements. For example, the behavior of particles in a magnetic field can be explained by the rotational motion of their spin.

5. How do subatomic rotations relate to the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to simultaneously know the exact position and momentum of a particle. Subatomic rotations play a role in this principle by affecting the position and orientation of particles, making it difficult to precisely measure their properties at the same time.