Uncountably Many Turing Machines

In summary, the conversation discusses the existence of a Turing Machine M that can determine whether another Turing Machine halts on a given input. However, it is argued that M does not actually exist as a Turing Machine with a finite description. The conversation also addresses the idea that there are uncountably many TMs, but this is disproved by the fact that M does not exist. The main point is that M is used as a reference point in the proof and does not actually exist as a Turing Machine. Therefore, there are not uncountably many TMs.
Dragonfall
This may be a bit vague, as I don't remember all the details.

When proving Turing's halting problem, at some point you will say something along the lines of, "given a list of all Turing Machines, assume that there exists a Turing Machine M which decides whether machine A halts on input B".

The problem here is that M depends on the listing. There are [tex]2^{\aleph_0}[/tex] ways of listing the TMs. On the face of it there must therefore be [tex]2^{\aleph_0}[/tex] TMs. I guess hidden in the above statement is that not all permutations give unique TMs (in fact, most don't), but it is not obvious, and was never shown to me.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
So why are there not uncountably many TMs?

Dragonfall said:
So why are there not uncountably many TMs?

A turing machine has a finite description. There is a canonical way of writing that description down in terms of sets of transitions, states, and tape symbols; failing that, any turing machine can in principle be described using english words.

The set of all strings-- that is, anything that you could type on a keyboard, ever-- is countable. You can order the set of all possible strings alphabetically, and there, you have a counting. The set of [all strings uniquely specifying turing machines] is a subset of all strings, and obviously there is a one-to-one map between a turing machine and its specification. So an ordering of the strings gives us an ordering of the turing machines.

I don't think the halting machine M, or anything else really, "depends on" the ordering of this counting. The point of the ordering is just that it exists. It is a reference point. It allows us to say, we can order the turing machines, and at some finite index in this ordering we will find our halting machine M. We can choose different orderings, and although there are uncountably-many orderings this does not matter because all orderings contain the same set of machines and all are the same in the only important respect: they are a countable ordering.

Now perhaps what you're saying is this: M "depends on" on a particular ordering. There are uncountably many orderings. Therefore, there should be uncountably many Ms, because you should need a different M for each ordering. I'm not sure if this is, strictly speaking, correct reasoning; but it sounds reasonable enough.

However, even if so, what you have just done is proved there are uncountably many Ms. This does not prove there uncountably many turing machines-- because M is impossible! M does not exist as a turing machine with a finite description-- no M does, regardless of ordering. This is the entire point of assuming M's existence in the first place-- the intent of the proof is, we want to show that assuming M leads to a contradiction. Therefore, if you have indeed found a contradiction from assuming M's existence, then all this means is that you have completed the proof!

Coin said:
Now perhaps what you're saying is this: M "depends on" on a particular ordering. There are uncountably many orderings. Therefore, there should be uncountably many Ms, because you should need a different M for each ordering. I'm not sure if this is, strictly speaking, correct reasoning; but it sounds reasonable enough.

That's what I'm having trouble with. There seems to be something wrong with the argument but I can't quite find it.

Dragonfall said:
That's what I'm having trouble with. There seems to be something wrong with the argument but I can't quite find it.

Well:

1. It's not that there's something wrong with it, it's just that it doesn't follow. You say that M "depends on the listing". Why does M depend on the listing? You haven't proven this, you haven't demonstrated it. For all I know it's wrong. This is a proof, so nothing's true until you prove it...

2. Again, even if the argument is correct, it doesn't tell us anything about turing machines. M is not a turing machine! The very result of the proof is to demonstrate that no turing machine with M's characteristics exists.

What is a Turing Machine?

A Turing Machine is a mathematical model developed by Alan Turing in the 1930s. It consists of a tape that can be read and written on, a head that can move along the tape, and a set of rules for manipulating the tape based on its current state. It is considered a theoretical computer that can simulate any algorithm.

What does it mean for Turing Machines to be uncountable?

Uncountably many Turing Machines refers to the fact that there are infinitely many possible configurations and combinations of rules that can be used to create a Turing Machine. This means that there is no finite list or count of all possible Turing Machines.

How are uncountably many Turing Machines relevant to computer science?

Turing Machines are important in computer science because they provide a theoretical basis for understanding the limits of computation and the capabilities of computers. The concept of uncountably many Turing Machines helps us to understand the vastness of possible algorithms and the complexity of problems that can be solved.

Can uncountably many Turing Machines be physically built or programmed?

No, uncountably many Turing Machines cannot be physically built or programmed. They are a theoretical concept used to explore the capabilities of computers and the limits of computation. While we can create physical machines that function like Turing Machines, we cannot create an infinite number of them.

What is the significance of uncountably many Turing Machines in the field of artificial intelligence?

Uncountably many Turing Machines play a role in the study of artificial intelligence by helping to define and understand the boundaries of what is computationally possible. This includes the potential for machines to achieve human-like intelligence and the limitations of algorithms in solving complex problems. It also helps researchers to explore different approaches and improvements to existing AI algorithms.