What are these mysterious round fossils with raised dimples?

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diameter
In summary, this newspaper clipping documents the discovery of a plesiosaur fossil in Harbury Quarry in 1927. The type species, Macroplata tenuiceps Swinton, remains under the reference number BMNH R.5488 in the Natural History Museum.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
i found this in a quarry, it is round approx 3 inches diameter
1.25 inches thick, concave both faces and has raised dimples
on the side 180% apart, any ideas?
i also found a smaller one identical description but only .75 inches
diameter.

Last edited:
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Do you have pictures of them? Have you looked on the internet? You can search by your region and then you can find pictures of different fossils. That's how I've indentified most of the fossils I've found, although I have found several odd ones (whole & intact) that I can find no desription of. One of these days I will get around to sending photos of them to the university here to see if they can identify them.

hi EVO, no pics i haven't had time, i took the dog for a walk
at local disused quarry and found them, they look like vertebra
to me, I've just been told a dino was found in that area years
ago but no details yet.

it was a 15ft dinosaur (a macroplata), no dates.

http://www.geocities.com/sea_saur/news.html

In the collections of the Warwick Museum (Feb, 2004), Is this fascinating framed newspaper clipping. A notice accompanying the frame reads: "The finding of a plesiosaur fossil in Harbury Quarry, Nov. 1927". There is no mention of the name of the newspaper. I have reproduced the text below. The observation of a "third eye" is probably a reference to the pineal foramen, an opening on the dorsal midline of the skull, although the interpretation of the feature here is rather appealing! After a little research, I have concluded that story covers the discovery of Macroplata tenuiceps Swinton 1930, the type species of the genus. The specimen remains under the reference number BMNH R.5488, in the Natural History.
wow i had forgot about this, i think my grandad told me about years ago.

Cool, sounds like you have a couple of dinosaur vertebra! I wonder if those are pieces missing from the one they found or if you have found evidence of another?

i wonder, problem is i can not establish exactly where the
first one was found, when i have time i will take the to the
museum.

What is a 3 inches diameter fossil?

A 3 inches diameter fossil is a fossil that measures 3 inches in diameter. Fossils are the preserved remains or impressions of living organisms from the past.

How are 3 inches diameter fossils formed?

3 inches diameter fossils are formed through a process called fossilization. This occurs when the remains of an organism are buried and undergo a series of chemical and physical changes over time, resulting in the preservation of the organism's structure.

What types of organisms can be found as 3 inches diameter fossils?

3 inches diameter fossils can be found from a variety of organisms, including plants, animals, and even microorganisms. The type of fossil will depend on the conditions in which the organism lived and the process of fossilization.

How can we determine the age of a 3 inches diameter fossil?

The age of a 3 inches diameter fossil can be determined through various methods, such as radiometric dating or relative dating. These techniques use the properties of the fossil and the surrounding rock layers to estimate its age.

Where can I find 3 inches diameter fossils?

3 inches diameter fossils can be found in a variety of places, such as sedimentary rock layers, quarries, and even in your own backyard. It is important to obtain proper permission and follow guidelines when collecting fossils to preserve their scientific value.