1. What year did 200 priests die in Chester.

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Year
In summary: INTRAWEBS.":smile:INTRAWEBS. As in "I'm going to find me some information on one a them thar...INTRAWEBS."
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
1. What year did 200 priests die in Chester.

2. Where can a Roman emperor be found with 90km diameter.

3. Who was the philosopher who tried to cure his sight with cow manure and baking in the sun.

Physics news on Phys.org

1. That must have been during the battle of Chester. Didn't know what year but found it on the interweb.

brewnog said:
1. That must have been during the battle of Chester. Didn't know what year but found it on the interweb.

And i thought google would not find that one.

wolram said:
And i thought google would not find that one.

You're likely safe from Google on the cow manure and philosopher one though - too many hits.

brewnog said:
Didn't know what year but found it on the interweb.
INTERNET. :grumpy: What is with people starting to call the internet the interweb? I've seen it a few times and it makes me want to rap them on the knuckles.

Evo said:
INTERNET. :grumpy: What is with people starting to call the internet the interweb? I've seen it a few times and it makes me want to rap them on the knuckles.

Sorry, but that's INTERNETWORK! :grumpy:

Calling it the interweb is ace, though more precisely it should be "t'interweb" in a Yorkshire accent. 'Interthing' is a pretty good synonym.

I knew about the battle of Chester already; I just found the year (or years) on the interweb.

brewnog said:
interweb.
AAARRRGHHH!

Come here and hold out your hands... :grumpy:

"2. Where can a Roman emperor be found with 90km diameter."

You sure it's km? My google search keeps trying to correct it to mm. The only km hit I get is this PF thread...

EDIT -- Ouch! Evo, cut it out. I didn't even mention the inter-whatever! All I said was "google"...

interweb

Gear300 said:
interweb
I'm banning the next person that says it for a week. :mad:

Evo said:

How about if I just add it as a tag to this thread? Not that I know how to add tags...

*runs and hides from cast klonks and bans...*

wolram said:
2. Where can a Roman emperor be found with 90km diameter.
Here you go: Julius was 90km wide

3. Who was the philosopher who tried to cure his sight with cow manure and baking in the sun.
My guesses would be Gandhi or Pliny.

Gokul43201 said:
Here you go: Julius was 90km wide

My guesses would be Gandhi or Pliny.
I know I've read about the eye thing, and it's driving me nuts.

berkeman said:
How about if I just add it as a tag to this thread? Not that I know how to add tags...

*runs and hides from cast klonks and bans...*
You're lucky I love you Berkeman. :wink:

LowlyPion said:
You're likely safe from Google on the cow manure and philosopher one though - too many hits.
:rofl:

Evo said:

I don't think I could say interweb for a whole week. :uhh: :biggrin:

(Actually, I thought it was a British thing since it seems it's the Brits calling it the interweb usually. Sort of like their answerphone contraptions...is voicemail the same in both English languages?)

Evo said:
I know I've read about the eye thing, and it's driving me nuts.

I am sure if anyone will get you will, but do not cry over it.

Last edited:

Evo said:

Interweb would be more descriptive as it branches in any old direction not a grid like pattern.
Or even it is chaotic , so may be intermess would be better.

anything's better than what my girlfriend thinks it is "innernet"

Two little ones.

What is a vug?

What is zug?

zug zug was what a boy caveman and a girl caveman do together in that Ringo Starr movie.

Evo said:
INTERNET. :grumpy: What is with people starting to call the internet the interweb?

You're saying "internet" as if there was only one. I'm using several as we speak.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internets

WarPhalange said:
You're saying "internet" as if there was only one. I'm using several as we speak.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internets

Look, it's very simple - it's a series of tubes.

wolram said:
What is zug?

2 micrograms?

What is a vug?

a "very ugly girl" (or "guy")

Chi Meson said:
2 micrograms?

a "very ugly girl" (or "guy")

Sorry Chi.

wolram said:
Two little ones.

What is a vug?

a dollar ninety five.

May be you would have to play scrabble a lot to know these.

wolram said:
So the proper name is the INTRAWEB.

INTRAWEBS. As in "I'm going to find me some information on one a them thar INTRAWEBS."

wolram said:
So the proper name is the INTRAWEB.
:grumpy: NO

Interweb (sometimes intarweb(s)) is an ironic term used to indicate inexperience by intentionally and incorrectly merging the terms 'Internet' and 'World Wide Web'. The joke is that many inexperienced users access content on the World Wide Web (or "Web") via the "Internet" without knowing what either is. [1]

The term interweb originated as the hacker culture response to the ever-increasing influx of inexperienced users to the Internet's forums and chat rooms. Whereas the Internet had previously been the exclusive domain of the tech-savvy, it was now attracting millions of newcomers (newbies) who were now participating in it (often with poor netiquette). Referring to the Internet as the interweb mocks the inexperience and ignorance of these newcomers, whose lack of understanding of the workings of the 'net' would often amuse or annoy the more experienced.
I believe that should say sarcastic, not ironic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interweb

Ahh, explaining British humour to an American. Does a more frustrating activity exist?!

Interweb interweb interweb!

brewnog said:
Ahh, explaining British humour to an American. Does a more frustrating activity exist?!

Interweb interweb interweb!
Biscuits are not cookies! When you go to a website, does the site put a cookie or a biscuit on your computer? hmmmm?

fish2qn4.gif

:grumpy:

3. is Heraclitus.

Evo said:

I call it the Intertubes.