Two pulleys system (please check my work)

In summary, the task is to find the acceleration of a system with two pulleys, one with a mass of 500 grams and the other with a mass of 300 grams. The rope is massless but the mobile pulley weighs 20 grams. Using the equations F=mg and F=ma, with g=9.8, the solution is found to be a=1.43. However, there may be an error in the tensions and it is advised to double check the solution.
fishingspree2

Homework Statement

Find the acceleration of the system
http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/4904/2pulleyszw9.jpg
The rope is massless
The mobile pulley is not massless, it weighs 20 grams.
Find the accelereation of the system

Homework Equations

F=mg
F=ma
g = 9.8

The Attempt at a Solution

for W1:
Fy = 2T-W1 = ma
2T-(500+20)*g = (500+20)*a
2T-520g = 520a (equation 1)

for W2:
Fy = W2-T=ma
300g-T=300a
T = 300(g-a) (equation 2)

equation 2 in equation 1 gives
a = 1,43

Is it correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
i don't think it's correct.. i think there is an error in the tensions, but i don't see

Last edited:
can someone help me?
I really want to know how to do this =(

The equations seem to be OK. The solution is not. Try to solve again the two equations.
If you show how you solve them I can try to find the mistake, if any.
Be careful with the units. If you want to get the tension in Newtons, the mass should be in kg.

1. How does a two pulleys system work?

A two pulleys system is a simple machine that uses two rotating wheels with a groove called pulleys. The two pulleys are connected by a belt or rope, and when one pulley is turned, the other pulley also rotates in the opposite direction. This system is used to lift or move objects by exerting force on the belt/rope.

2. What are the advantages of using a two pulleys system?

The two pulleys system has several advantages. Firstly, it allows for a smaller input force to lift a heavier load. Secondly, it can change the direction of the force applied, making it easier to move objects in different directions. Lastly, it is a simple and efficient way to lift or move objects without the need for complex machinery.

3. How do you calculate the mechanical advantage of a two pulleys system?

The mechanical advantage of a two pulleys system can be calculated by dividing the number of ropes supporting the load by the number of ropes supporting the effort force. For example, if there are two ropes supporting the load and one rope supporting the effort force, the mechanical advantage would be 2/1 = 2. This means that the system can lift a load that is twice the weight of the effort force.

4. Can a two pulleys system be used to lift objects vertically and horizontally?

Yes, a two pulleys system can be used to lift objects in both vertical and horizontal directions. By changing the position of the pulleys, the direction of the force applied can be changed. This makes it a versatile system for lifting and moving objects in various directions.

5. What factors affect the efficiency of a two pulleys system?

The efficiency of a two pulleys system can be affected by several factors, such as the friction between the pulleys and the rope/belt, the weight of the rope/belt, and the angle at which the rope/belt is pulled. Other factors such as the condition of the pulleys and the load also play a role in the efficiency of the system.