Derivation of Tangential Acceleration in Non-Uniform Circular Motion

In summary, the block slides down the wall with a constant velocity until it hits the ground and then slows down to a third of its original velocity.
drummerteenX

Homework Statement

A small block of mass "m" slides on a frictionless horizontal surface as it travels inside of a hoop of radius "R". The coefficient of friction between the block and the wall is "u", therefore, the speed of the block decreases. In terms of "m", "R", "u", and "v" (the block's velocity), find expressions for the following.
1. The frictional force on the block: (I believe it is f = (v^(2) * m / R)

2. The block's tangential acceleration (dv/dt). I really need this one.

3. Use the equation from #2 to find the time required to reduce the speed of the block to one-third of its original velocity from its original velocity.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

#1 should be "f = (v^(2) * m / R"

#2 All I have so far is #1 solved for "v". "v = sqrt(f * R / m)"

#3 Once I have #2, this will be cake.

Physics news on Phys.org
drummerteenX said:

Homework Statement

A small block of mass "m" slides on a frictionless horizontal surface as it travels inside of a hoop of radius "R". The coefficient of friction between the block and the wall is "u", therefore, the speed of the block decreases. In terms of "m", "R", "u", and "v" (the block's velocity), find expressions for the following.
1. The frictional force on the block: (I believe it is f = (v^(2) * m / R)

2. The block's tangential acceleration (dv/dt). I really need this one.

3. Use the equation from #2 to find the time required to reduce the speed of the block to one-third of its original velocity from its original velocity.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

#1 should be "f = (v^(2) * m / R"

#2 All I have so far is #1 solved for "v". "v = sqrt(f * R / m)"

#3 Once I have #2, this will be cake.

Welcome to PF.

In one you have ignored the coefficient of friction. Your expression if for the radial force. Frictional force is Normal force * coefficient of friction.

From F = m*a , knowing 1, you can solve immediately for 2.

Since 3 is a piece of cake ... you're all set.

Ok, so I solved for a) and b), but c) is not "cake" for me. Can you help me out for where to start solving it?

Ok so this is what I get for

a) -u*v^(2)*m/R = F

b)dv/dt = -u*v^(2)/R

If you accept those answers then this is how I would solve c)

dv = (-u*v^(2)/R)dt

dv*R/(-u*v^2)= dt

Integrate both sides. Left integral is from v to 1/3v. Right integral is from 0 to t.

After the integration you get this:

R/(u*v) = t left side still needs to be evaluated on limits of integration so...

R/(u*(v/3)) - R/(u*v) = t

That would be the answer I get.

What is tangential acceleration in non-uniform circular motion?

Tangential acceleration is the component of acceleration that is tangent to the circular path of an object in motion. It is a measure of the rate at which the object's speed changes as it moves along the circular path.

How is tangential acceleration calculated?

Tangential acceleration can be calculated using the formula at = dv/dt, where at is tangential acceleration, dv is the change in velocity, and dt is the change in time.

What is the relationship between tangential acceleration and centripetal acceleration?

Tangential acceleration and centripetal acceleration are both components of the total acceleration in non-uniform circular motion. Tangential acceleration acts in the direction of the object's velocity, while centripetal acceleration acts towards the center of the circular path. Together, they determine the object's total acceleration.

How does tangential acceleration change in non-uniform circular motion?

In non-uniform circular motion, the speed of the object is changing, which means that its tangential acceleration is also changing. As the speed increases, the tangential acceleration also increases, and vice versa.

What factors affect the magnitude of tangential acceleration in non-uniform circular motion?

The magnitude of tangential acceleration is affected by the object's speed and the rate at which its speed is changing, as well as the radius of the circular path. A smaller radius will result in a larger tangential acceleration, while a larger radius will result in a smaller tangential acceleration.