Is 'The Final Theory' just a one-man science fiction fantasy?

• Thread starter SeveredNebula223
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a website that claims to have all the answers to physics but is considered to be unreliable and inaccurate. The author makes bold claims and debunks well-established theories, but does not have a strong understanding of basic physics. They also mention the lack of credentials and references for the author, and advise against taking their theories seriously.
SeveredNebula223
http://www.thefinaltheory.com/pages/2/index.htm [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's garbage.

- Warren

It's even worse than that.

- Stefan

Thanks. Yeah, it did seem like some pretty boastful claims coming from there. All the answers to all the questions in one book found out just now and no other scientist knows of it? Seemed fishy.

Wow! The author not only has debunked the usual suspects of relativity and quantum theory, he has even gone after Newtonian gravity. That makes him a rarity. Usually these guys at least leave Newton alone.

What's really scary is that this guy claims to be a physicist at Los Alamos!

The simple examples he gives indicate that he does not even know basic physics.

For example, he claims that the calculation given in many elementary physics books (and the reference to elementary physics books is itself a warning sign!) that if an object is dropped through a hole through the center of earth, it will go right to the other side and then back again, violates "no perpetual motion". Well, no it doesn't. "No perpetual motion" is based on the fact that there is always some friction and this imaginary example always requires "no friction".

He also asserts that a "refrigertor magnet" must use up energy in order to stay in one place against gravity. Apparently he isn't aware that applying force to stay in one place does NOT do any work and so doesn't require energy.

It's very hard to find out any information on th man but I've managed to ascertain this:

He is a 38 year-old Canadian electrical engineer (now why am I not suprised that he's an engineer) with a physics minor (obtained from the university of waterloo Canada), as far as I can tell he currently lives in Sydney Austrailia (but I'm not 100% on this).

I misread: the man does not "claim to be a physicist at Los Alamos" (whew! That's a relief). Rather he quotes such a phyisicist as saying "we don't know everything" as an introduction to his claim that he does!

HallsofIvy said:
The simple examples he gives indicate that he does not even know basic physics.

For example, he claims that ...if an object is dropped through a hole through the center of earth, it will go right to the other side and then back again, violates "no perpetual motion". Well, no it doesn't. "No perpetual motion" is based on the fact that there is always some friction and this imaginary example always requires "no friction".

Actually, he is assuming no friction. His problem is not with friction; rather he just can't figure how things can keep moving without continually adding energy to them. I guess he hasn't heard of Newton's first Law of motion. He, He... :rofl: Things don't need energy to KEEP them moving; energy is required to STOP THEM from moving. :biggrin:

He says,
" our science states that an object dropped into a tunnel cut through the Earth would oscillate back and forth endlessly from one end of the planet to the other."

He can't seem to figure why it can go endlessly without a source of energy. I wonder what he thinks about satellites that orbit the Earth 'endlessly' without having any source of power?? He, He..

Creator

Certainly he hasn't ever heard of gravitational radiation.
Be careful with those who claim final theories or such.
There is great effort today to unify physics, there is a long way to go.

Another tip: look for "messy" equations and check for references at the final part of the work.

[connected with topic]
Can someone help me. I guess last month I found book about "new physics" - written by guy who treats QM, SR, and other modern theories as incorrect ones and want to develop some new physics :rofl: . I know that's just bullsh*t, but it was quite funny, so if anyone read that as well, please, give me link. :biggrin:

The craziest thing about these quacks is that they haven't discovered no one of any standing is going to attribute any measure of authenticity to some web page on the internet. If anyone had anything really groundbreaking they could submit it to one of the many physics journals where people would actually consider it. On the web it's just like, "Oh wow, granny Menston, surfing the net for the first time from Witchitaw, Kansas, thinks my theory is for real!" Can you get any more desperate for approval?

jeffceth

Just check the threads here. There are plenty of people just like that posting their pet theories.

Yeah, you right, but it can be easily read as an amusing science-fiction story with one-hero only - an author. It can be enjoing sometimes if don't want to learn something from that piece of crap. :rofl:

1. Is the source reliable?

The credibility of a source depends on its reliability. This can be determined by evaluating the author's credentials, the accuracy of the information, and if the source is peer-reviewed or published by a reputable organization.

2. Are there any biases present in the information?

It is important to consider any potential biases in the information presented. This can be determined by examining the author's background, the purpose of the source, and any potential conflicts of interest.

3. How current is the information?

The timeliness of information is crucial in determining its credibility. Make sure to check the date of publication or last update to ensure the information is up-to-date and relevant.

4. Are there any supporting sources or evidence?

It is important to verify the information presented by checking for supporting sources or evidence. This can be done by cross-checking with other reputable sources or looking for citations within the source itself.

5. What is the purpose of the source?

Understanding the purpose of the source can help determine its credibility. Is it meant to inform, persuade, or entertain? Knowing the intent behind the source can help evaluate the reliability of the information.