Total pressure and Static Pressure and V

In summary, the pressure difference between total and static pressure is calculated by subtracting static pressure from total pressure. This difference is then used to calculate the velocity pressure.
Ma77h3w
Confusion... I'm probably being stupid but...
Aerofoil in a wind tunnel... there are lots of pressure tappings including Pt and Ps (static and total pressure freestream) these are currently in mm on a manometer..
my Pt is 11.4mm and Ps is 16.8mm.. (SG=0.8)
1st question: Should total pressure be less than static? because i can't solve the equation to find free stream velocity.. rearranging: Pt - Ps = 1/2 p V^2 (p = density)
as Pt - Ps is negative.. hence finding V is impossible.. can't root a negative. Have i mixed the two up?
however my Cp against x/c graph looks good.. and swapping Pt and Ps messes it up..

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure, I don't have access to the experiment anymore. What difference would using a pito static tube make?
Can the Dynamic pressure (Pt - Ps) be negative in this situation? And am I allowed to swap them around (Ps - Pt) to work out the freestream velocity?
All the other pressure tappings on the aerofoil itself at 0 incidence are between 15 and 19mm. It's only the so called Pt that's as low as 11.4mm.. Thought: maybe I'm being silly and the lower the (mm manometer fluid) the greater the pressure...? Confusion reigns
for information manometer (table?) is at 20 degrees and fluid = 800 kg/m3

Ma77h3w said:
What difference would using a pito static tube make?
The static and total ports are linked together to do the subtraction for you, providing one number for your data: the velocity pressure.
Can the Dynamic pressure (Pt - Ps) be negative in this situation? And am I allowed to swap them around (Ps - Pt) to work out the freestream velocity?
Not unless the flow direction was backwards.
All the other pressure tappings on the aerofoil itself at 0 incidence are between 15 and 19mm. It's only the so called Pt that's as low as 11.4mm.. Thought: maybe I'm being silly and the lower the (mm manometer fluid) the greater the pressure...? Confusion reigns
for information manometer (table?) is at 20 degrees and fluid = 800 kg/m3
Without knowing what the port that is labeled "Pt" really is, it is tough to help. But total pressure can't be less than static pressure...

...or are these other ports that are labeled as static pressure acutally pressure ports along the profile of the airfoil? In that case, they aren't freestream static pressure.

Total P is always greater than or equal to static pressure

I guess u r wrongly calculating the pressure difference... let me guess..
u would have connected the pitot tube(measures tot P) to a manometer (A) at the top
Static tube(measures Static P) to another manometer (B) at the top...
Condition: both manometers exposed on the other tube to same atmospheric conditions

Now u have less pressure acting on the water column at B.. so the water level will be higher, say h2; on the other hand u ve more pressure acting on the water column at A.. so its level will be lower, say h1..

This implies, higher P keeps the water column lower... so u would have calculated the pressure diff as rho*g*(h2-h1) which is actually (Tot P-Static P)... Now u cud get the vel right

manicks said:
Total P is always greater than or equal to static pressure

I guess u r wrongly calculating the pressure difference... let me guess..
u would have connected the pitot tube(measures tot P) to a manometer (A) at the top
Static tube(measures Static P) to another manometer (B) at the top...
Condition: both manometers exposed on the other tube to same atmospheric conditions

Now u have less pressure acting on the water column at B.. so the water level will be higher, say h2; on the other hand u ve more pressure acting on the water column at A.. so its level will be lower, say h1..

This implies, higher P keeps the water column lower... so u would have calculated the pressure diff as rho*g*(h2-h1) which is actually (Tot P-Static P)... Now u cud get the vel right

Can you not use text speak please.

Cyrus said:
Can you not use text speak please.

okay...hereafter i will be conscious about that.. thank you

What is total pressure?

Total pressure, also known as stagnation pressure, is the sum of the static pressure and dynamic pressure of a fluid flow. It is a measure of the total energy of the fluid, including both its pressure and velocity.

What is static pressure?

Static pressure is the pressure exerted by a fluid at rest. It is measured perpendicular to the direction of flow and does not include the effects of the fluid's velocity.

What is dynamic pressure?

Dynamic pressure is the pressure exerted by a fluid due to its motion. It is related to the fluid's velocity and is typically measured parallel to the direction of flow.

How are total pressure and static pressure related?

Total pressure is equal to the sum of static pressure and dynamic pressure. In other words, it is the pressure that would be measured if the fluid were brought to rest isentropically (without any change in entropy).

What is the significance of total pressure and static pressure in fluid mechanics?

Total pressure and static pressure are important parameters in fluid mechanics as they help us understand the behavior of fluids in motion. They are used to calculate flow rates, determine the performance of pumps and turbines, and analyze the aerodynamics of aircraft and other objects moving through fluids.