Switch Fields After PhD: Strategies for Future Employment

In summary, the speaker has completed a PhD in computational materials science but has lost interest in the field and is looking for strategies to transition to a different area for future employment. They are considering a postdoc position in a similar field to acclimate themselves to the new discipline and have been advised to look into medical physics as an option.
handsomecat
I have almost completed a PhD in a field of computational materials science.

I've kinda lost interest in it, and I'm wondering what are some strategies I can use to move to different areas for future employment ...

Physics news on Phys.org
It all depends on how radically you want change your career. Are thinking about a small change like moving to experimental material science or something drastic like becoming an MD?

If it is something similar to what you do now, a postdoc in that field would be a good way to acclimate yourself to the new discipline. For instance I know a guy who went from experimental high energy physics PhD to a medical physics postdoc.

Thanks! No its just another field, also in computation.

After six years of PhD, I certainly need a change. Yeah, I think I'll check out a few postdoc positions.

1. What are the benefits of switching fields after obtaining a PhD?

Switching fields after a PhD can offer several benefits, including expanding your skill set, gaining new perspectives and knowledge, and increasing your marketability for future job opportunities. It also allows you to explore new research areas and potentially make a greater impact in your chosen field.

2. Will switching fields after a PhD affect my career prospects?

While it may seem daunting to switch fields after investing time and effort into a PhD, it can actually enhance your career prospects. Employers often value diverse experiences and skills, and a switch in fields can demonstrate adaptability, curiosity, and a willingness to learn new things.

3. How can I prepare for a career switch after completing my PhD?

It is important to do some research and planning before making a career switch after a PhD. This may include networking with professionals in your desired field, gaining relevant experience through internships or projects, and updating your resume and cover letter to highlight transferable skills and experiences.

4. Are there any challenges associated with switching fields after a PhD?

While switching fields can bring exciting opportunities, it can also come with challenges such as having to learn new skills and knowledge, adjusting to a new work culture, and potentially starting at a lower level in terms of job title and salary. However, with determination and a positive attitude, these challenges can be overcome.

5. How can I determine if switching fields after a PhD is the right decision for me?

The decision to switch fields after a PhD is a personal one and will depend on your individual goals, interests, and values. It may be helpful to do some self-reflection and consider what motivates you, what you enjoy, and what you want to achieve in your career. Consulting with a career counselor or mentor can also provide valuable insight and guidance.