Surface Integral in Spherical Coordinates for Arbitrary Vector Field

In summary, the problem is that the limits of integration for r and \theta can't be separated and they must be integrated together. However, this can be done in a piecewise fashion by taking different limits between the different vertices of the triangle.
Pengwuino
Gold Member

Homework Statement

I'm looking to do the surface integral of [tex]\oint {\vec v \cdot d\mathord{\buildrel{\lower3pt\hbox{$\scriptscriptstyle\rightharpoonup$}}
\over a} } [/tex] where v is arbitrary and in spherical coordinates and the surface is the triangle enclosed by the points (0,0,0) -> (0,1,0) -> (0,1,1) -> (0,0,0).

The Attempt at a Solution

Now the obvious method is to convert the differential area to cartesian giving [tex]\int_0^y {\int_0^1 {\vec v \cdot dydz} } \hat x[/tex]. However, I want to know how this would be done in spherical. The limits are what confuse me, would they be something like [tex]
\int_{\pi /2}^{\pi /4} {\int_0^{r\sin \theta } { - v \cdot r\sin \theta drd\theta } } \hat \theta[/tex]? That can't make sense because obviously the integral is all screwed up then... Come to think of it, that area element doesn't even make sense...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What makes you think there is going to be any simple way to do it in spherical coordinates? There is no spherical symmetry so I doubt that it will look at all reasonable in spherical coordinates. You would have to do this "piecewise" taking different limits of integration between the different vertices of the triangle.

Yah I am having one of those "I know there's an easy way to do this but that doesn't mean its the only way" moments. I don't expect any thing reasonable. What do you mean taking it "piecewise"? I'm trying to solidify my understanding of integration. I know something might become disgusting to solve, but I want to at least be able to be confident about the setup.

Ok after some thought, I'm cool with the area element still being [tex]d\vec a = - rdrd\vec \theta [/tex]. I'm guessing the problem lies with the fact that r and [tex]\theta[/tex] can't be integrated, in a sense, independently in this problem and that's what you mean by the symmetry? It seems the trick with cartesian is that each coordinate can be written as a function of the others or you can hold coordinates constant while you perform integrations. With spherical, are you saying I'd need to do the integration over an infinitesimal integrated "slice" of that triangle? Am i getting warmer?

Last edited:

What is an arbitrary surface integral?

An arbitrary surface integral is a mathematical tool used in physics and engineering to calculate the total value of a function over a given surface. It involves dividing the surface into infinitesimal elements and summing up the contributions of each element to the overall value.

What is the purpose of an arbitrary surface integral?

The purpose of an arbitrary surface integral is to find the total value of a function over a surface, which can provide important information about physical quantities such as electric charge, mass, and energy distribution. It is also useful in solving various engineering problems involving fluid flow, heat transfer, and stress distribution.

How is an arbitrary surface integral calculated?

An arbitrary surface integral is calculated by first choosing a surface and dividing it into small elements. Then, the integral is evaluated by summing up the contributions of each element, which is typically done using a mathematical technique called integration.

What is the difference between a surface integral and an arbitrary surface integral?

A surface integral is a type of integral that is calculated over a specific surface, such as a sphere or a cylinder. On the other hand, an arbitrary surface integral is a more general type of integral that can be calculated over any surface, regardless of its shape or orientation.

What are some real-world applications of arbitrary surface integrals?

Arbitrary surface integrals have a wide range of real-world applications, including calculating the electric field around a charged object, determining the mass and center of gravity of a solid object, and analyzing the stress distribution on a structure. They are also used in fields such as computer graphics, geology, and fluid mechanics.