Apprehension about future career in science

In summary: There are a lot of companies that look for people with video game design or software engineering experience. Geniuses are just hard work and being only slightly noticably smug. They don't teach it in school. You want obsession? Go to France and find some sexually liberated French chicks to take advantage of you.
Zandorian
I am a new college student who is very unsure about the career I want. I am between computer science and physics.

I think I may enjoy being a video game designer/software engineer more than anything else, but I really want to be as smart as possible and have a complete physics education. Someone told me that the only way to have a physics education is grad school. Also, if I become anything besides a physicist, I may not have the time to study physics on my own.

If it wasn't for my wanting to be a genius, and understand as much as possible, I would become a video game designer/programmer. But ofcourse, I would always continue learning, I would just not be as obssesed for it.

Can anyone help me? Some advice?

Oh, one more thing. If I got a Bach. in Physics could I take like maybe a 3year break b4 grad school? Would that hurt me in terms of financial aid?

Physics news on Phys.org
Zandorian said:
I am a new college student who is very unsure about the career I want. I am between computer science and physics.

I think I may enjoy being a video game designer/software engineer more than anything else, but I really want to be as smart as possible and have a complete physics education. Someone told me that the only way to have a physics education is grad school. Also, if I become anything besides a physicist, I may not have the time to study physics on my own.

If it wasn't for my wanting to be a genius, and understand as much as possible, I would become a video game designer/programmer. But ofcourse, I would always continue learning, I would just not be as obssesed for it.

Can anyone help me? Some advice?

Oh, one more thing. If I got a Bach. in Physics could I take like maybe a 3year break b4 grad school? Would that hurt me in terms of financial aid?
Genius is just hard work and being only slightly noticably smug. They don't teach it in school. You want obsession? Go to France and find some sexually liberated French chicks to take advantage of you.

Zandorian said:

You can't make yourself into a genius, you either have it or you don't. However, if you’re lucky you might stumble across an idea that nobody else has thought of and develop it in such a way that people might think you’re a genius.

I would work on video game designer/programmer route. At least that way you will find better paid job opportunities.

1. What is the current job outlook for careers in science?

The job outlook for careers in science varies depending on the specific field and industry. However, overall, the demand for scientists is expected to increase in the coming years as technology and research continue to advance. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the employment of life, physical, and social science occupations is projected to grow 5% from 2019 to 2029, faster than the average for all occupations.

2. How can I prepare for a career in science?

To prepare for a career in science, it is important to start building a strong foundation of knowledge and skills in relevant subjects such as biology, chemistry, physics, and mathematics. Getting involved in research opportunities and internships can also provide valuable hands-on experience and help you develop important skills such as critical thinking and problem-solving. Networking with professionals in your field of interest and staying updated on industry advancements can also be beneficial.

3. What are some common challenges faced in a career in science?

Some common challenges faced in a career in science include obtaining funding for research, dealing with the pressure to publish and produce results, and navigating the competitive nature of the field. Additionally, balancing work-life responsibilities and maintaining a healthy work-life balance can also be challenging for scientists.

4. How can I overcome my fears and doubts about pursuing a career in science?

If you have apprehensions about your future career in science, it can be helpful to talk to professionals in the field and get their perspective on the challenges and rewards of their job. You can also seek guidance from mentors or career counselors who can provide valuable insights and help you address your concerns. Additionally, setting achievable goals, staying motivated, and continuously learning and growing can help you overcome your fears and doubts and succeed in a career in science.

5. What are some alternative career options for scientists?

While many scientists pursue careers in research and academia, there are also many alternative career options available. Some of these include science communication, science policy, science writing, patent law, and consulting. These careers allow scientists to utilize their knowledge and skills in a different way and may provide a better fit for individuals who are not interested in traditional research roles.