Apprehension about future career in science

In summary, the speaker is a new college student who is unsure about their career path. They are considering computer science and physics, but think they may enjoy being a video game designer/software engineer the most. They want to be as knowledgeable as possible and are considering grad school for a complete physics education. They are also concerned about having enough time to study physics if they pursue a different career. They are seeking advice and wondering if they can take a break before grad school without hurting their financial aid. They are also considering a career in computational physics, which they believe would be helpful for game design. However, they are unsure about their desire to be a genius and the job prospects in the computer science field.
Zandorian
I am a new college student who is very unsure about the career I want. I am between computer science and physics.

I think I may enjoy being a video game designer/software engineer more than anything else, but I really want to be as smart as possible and have a complete physics education. Someone told me that the only way to have a physics education is grad school. Also, if I become anything besides a physicist, I may not have the time to study physics on my own.

If it wasn't for my wanting to be a genius, and understand as much as possible, I would become a video game designer/programmer. But ofcourse, I would always continue learning, I would just not be as obssesed for it.

Can anyone help me? Some advice?

Oh, one more thing. If I got a Bach. in Physics could I take like maybe a 3year break b4 grad school? Would that hurt me in terms of financial aid?

Physics news on Phys.org
How about a career in computational physics?

If it wasn't for my wanting to be a genius,

In English, you are either a genius or not a genius..No amount of schooling will change this.

Getting a CS degree and planning on being a game designer is a pretty long shot. Unless you have a Killer game in your head, do not count on getting hired by someone else. Frankly the job prospects in the CS field are pretty bleak, unless you live in India.

It is much easier to learn programing then it is Physics so, as John suggested, a computational Physicist would be your dream come true. Further it would could make for even BETTER game creations, if that killer game is lurking in your head.

1. What are some common concerns about pursuing a career in science?

Some people may worry about job stability and security in the constantly evolving field of science. Others may be concerned about the competitive nature of the industry and the pressure to constantly produce groundbreaking research.

2. Is it difficult to find employment in the science industry?

It can be challenging to find employment in certain areas of science, such as academia or research, as these positions are highly competitive. However, there are also many opportunities in industries such as healthcare, technology, and government that may be more accessible.

3. Will I need to pursue further education to have a successful career in science?

While many careers in science do require advanced degrees, there are also opportunities for those with bachelor's or master's degrees. It ultimately depends on your specific career goals and the industry you want to work in.

4. What are the potential benefits of a career in science?

A career in science can be incredibly rewarding, both professionally and personally. You have the opportunity to make significant contributions to society, engage in cutting-edge research, and continuously learn and grow in your field.

5. How can I prepare for a future career in science?

Some ways to prepare for a career in science include gaining research experience through internships or volunteer opportunities, networking with professionals in the industry, and staying updated on current developments and advancements in your field of interest.