Sequence: product of sequences diverges

In summary, the conversation is about proving that if a sequence diverges to positive infinity and another sequence converges to a positive number, then the product of the two sequences also diverges to positive infinity. The conversation includes the use of epsilon and limits of sequences in the proof, and the importance of making the proof easily readable.
tarheelborn
1. Homework Statement

Sorry, I posted this earlier but I had an error in my problem statement; please advise. Thank you.

If a_n diverges to +inf, b_n converge to M>0; prove a_n*b_n diverges to +inf

2. Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt follows: I seem to have trouble getting things in the right order, so I am trying to work on my technique, with your help. Also, I am afraid I may have omitted reference to some theorem that I am taking for granted, which is another of my bad habits. Please review for me and advise as appropriate. I am determined to conquer this subject! Thanks.

Let M, e > 0, M, e \in R. By definition of a limit of a sequence, we can choose N_b such that |b_n - M|< e, n >= N. Then -e < b_n - M < e, so M - e < b_n < M + e. So b_n > M - e. We can then choose N_a such that a_n >= M/(M-e), n >= N. Let N = max (N_b, N_a). Then a_n*b_n >= M/(M-e), n >= N. Thus, {a_n*b_n} diverges to + infinity.

Physics news on Phys.org
When you show that a sequence diverges to infinity, you don't use epsilon; you show that starting with some index in the sequence, all elements are larger than some (large) number M.

The definition for such a sequence goes something like this:
For all numbers M > 0, there exists an index N such that, if n >= N, a_n > M.

You already know that a_n gets large without bound. What can you say about a_n*b_n? Make sure that you don't use M for both a_n and a_n*b_n.

It seems as if I should be able to say a_n*b_n gets (large without bound * L), where L = lim b_n, but I don't know how to say that. Instinctively I know that this happens.

What if I say:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Homework Statement

If a_n diverges to +inf, b_n converge to 0; prove a_n*b_n diverges to +inf

2. Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt follows: I seem to have trouble getting things in the right order, so I am trying to work on my technique, with your help. Also, I am afraid I may have omitted reference to some theorem that I am taking for granted, which is another of my bad habits. Please review for me and advise as appropriate. I am determined to conquer this subject! Thanks.

Let L, M, e > 0, L, M, e \in R. By definition of a limit of a sequence, we can choose N_b such that |b_n - L|< e, n >= N. Then -e < b_n - L < e, so L - e < b_n < L + e. So b_n > L - e. We can then choose N_a such that a_n >= M/(L-e), n >= N. Let N = max (N_b, N_a). Then a_n*b_n >= [M/(L-e)]*L-e, which = M, n >= N. Thus, {a_n*b_n} diverges to + infinity.

tarheelborn said:
What if I say:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Homework Statement

If a_n diverges to +inf, b_n converge to 0; prove a_n*b_n diverges to +inf
You've changed the problem on me! In the first post in this thread, b_n converged to a positive number.

Which is it?

It does converge to a positive number. SORRY. I posted this twice, once had an error and I seem to be picking up the wrong one somehow. The problem is: if a_n diverges to +infinity and b_n converges to M>0, prove a_n*b_n converges to +infinity.

OK, that's better. Now go back and read what I wrote in post #2. Epsilon doesn't enter into things at all when your trying to show that a sequence diverges to infinity. You can't get within epsilon of infinity, and that seems to be what you're trying to do.

I understand that I need to say that a_n*b_n > M, therefore a_n*b_n diverges. But don't I have to initially deal with epsilon in the sense that the initial sequence b_n DID converge to a limit? I was trying to get that limit canceled out so that the "result" was that the product is greater than my M. I am not trying to be stubborn; I just don't get it. The only thing I get in class is the proof copied from my book onto the chalkboard. It just hasn't sunk in yet.

tarheelborn said:
Let L, M, e > 0, L, M, e \in R. By definition of a limit of a sequence, we can choose N_b such that |b_n - L|< e, n >= N. Then -e < b_n - L < e, so L - e < b_n < L + e. So b_n > L - e. We can then choose N_a such that a_n >= M/(L-e), n >= N. Let N = max (N_b, N_a). Then a_n*b_n >= [M/(L-e)]*L-e, which = M, n >= N. Thus, {a_n*b_n} diverges to + infinity.
On a closer look, and with your later explanation, this looks pretty good. I don't see anything wrong in your argument.

I got confused when you changed the limit of your converging sequence from a positive number to 0, which completely changes the outcome.

One thing I would suggest is to spread things out a bit to improve readability. What you have is very dense, making it more difficult to comprehend.

Thank you so much! I will definitely try to work on making things more readable. I really appreciate your help.

1. What is a sequence in mathematics?

A sequence in mathematics is a list of numbers or terms that follow a specific pattern or rule. Each number in the sequence is called a term, and the sequence can be either finite or infinite.

2. How do you determine if a sequence diverges?

A sequence diverges when its terms get infinitely larger or smaller as the sequence continues. This can be determined by looking at the limit of the sequence, where the limit does not exist or is infinite.

3. What does it mean for a sequence to converge?

A sequence converges when its terms approach a finite limit as the sequence continues. This means that the terms get closer and closer together, eventually reaching a specific value.

4. Can a sequence diverge and converge at the same time?

No, a sequence can only either diverge or converge. If a sequence has a finite limit, it is said to converge, and if it does not have a finite limit, it is said to diverge.

5. How is the divergence of a sequence related to its terms?

The divergence of a sequence is determined by the behavior of its terms as the sequence continues. If the terms of the sequence get infinitely larger or smaller, the sequence will diverge. If the terms approach a finite limit, the sequence will converge.