Looking for Additional Resources to Improve Understanding of Linear Algebra?

In summary, the conversation discusses a first-year student's struggle with an algebra course and their search for a textbook that explains concepts in more physical terms. A recommendation is made for Strang's book, which is written in a friendly style and can potentially be found online with a solutions manual.
glueball8
Hi, I'm first year and taking my first algebra course. My class is using "Linear Algebra" 4th ed. By Friedberg, Insel and Spence.

I'm having problems in the course, and I feel I need another textbook. My course is proof/concept based, and I don't have intuition in algebra. Does anyone know any book that explains basic algebra concepts in more physical terms?\

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Strang's book is great. It's written in a friendly style and will help you develop your intuition. Good luck!

I should add that the enterprising student should be able to find a PDF copy of the 3rd edition of Strang's book - maybe even with a solutions manual! - by conducting a few Google searches :)

Last edited:

I understand the importance of having a strong foundation in mathematics, especially in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. Linear algebra is a fundamental branch of mathematics that is essential for understanding and solving complex problems in these fields. It is great to hear that you are taking your first algebra course and are looking for additional resources to improve your understanding.

I am not familiar with the specific textbook that your class is using, but I can recommend a few other options that may be helpful for your learning style. "Introduction to Linear Algebra" by Gilbert Strang is a highly regarded textbook that presents the concepts in a clear and intuitive manner, using real-world examples to illustrate the applications of linear algebra. Another book that may be useful is "Linear Algebra Done Right" by Sheldon Axler, which focuses on the conceptual and theoretical aspects of linear algebra and may help with your understanding of proofs.

Additionally, there are many online resources available that can provide alternative explanations and examples to supplement your class materials. You may also want to consider seeking help from a tutor or attending study groups to further solidify your understanding of the material. Remember, understanding and intuition in mathematics takes time and practice, so don't be discouraged if you are struggling at first. Keep seeking out resources and seeking help when needed, and I am sure you will see improvement in your understanding of linear algebra. Keep up the hard work!

1. What makes "Another Linear Algebra Book" different from other books on the subject?

"Another Linear Algebra Book" is unique in that it focuses on practical applications of linear algebra rather than just theoretical concepts. It also includes real-world examples and exercises to help readers gain a deeper understanding of the subject.

2. Is "Another Linear Algebra Book" suitable for beginners?

Yes, "Another Linear Algebra Book" is suitable for beginners as it starts with the basics and gradually builds upon them. It also includes clear explanations and examples to help readers grasp the concepts.

3. Does "Another Linear Algebra Book" cover advanced topics?

Yes, "Another Linear Algebra Book" covers advanced topics such as eigenvectors, diagonalization, and inner product spaces. It is suitable for both beginners and those looking to deepen their understanding of linear algebra.

4. Is "Another Linear Algebra Book" a good resource for self-study?

Yes, "Another Linear Algebra Book" is a great resource for self-study as it includes comprehensive explanations, examples, and exercises for readers to practice and test their understanding.

5. Is "Another Linear Algebra Book" applicable to other fields of science and mathematics?

Yes, the concepts and applications covered in "Another Linear Algebra Book" are widely used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. The book also includes examples from these fields to demonstrate the relevance of linear algebra in real-world scenarios.