Optimization of inscribed circle

In summary, to find the maximum semi-circular area bounded by the curve y = 12 - 3x^2 and the x-axis, first find the zeros of the function (2 and -2) and the maximum height of 12 from y'. Then, using the equation A = Pi(r^2), set the derivative of the area (A') equal to 0 and solve for r. The circle must be tangent to the parabola at the point of intersection, so set the derivatives of both functions equal to each other and solve for the x-value. Finally, use implicit differentiation to find dy/dx for the circle and set it equal to the derivative of the parabola, making it easier to solve for
lp27

Homework Statement

Given the function
y = 12- 3x^2,
find the maximum semi-circular area bounded by the curve and the x-axis.

Homework Equations

A= Pi(r^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I found my zeros, 2 and -2, and my maximum height of 12 from the y'.

A' = 2Pi(r)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Plot the function. The answer will be clear.

Well, no. r isn't equal to 2. If it's an inscribed semicircle bounded by the x-axis the circle must have center (0,0), agree? Draw a picture. It's a wee bit less than 2. So the equation of the circle is r^2=x^2+y^2. If it's inscribed the semicircle must be tangent to the parabola y=12-3*x^2 at the point of intersection. Find dy/dx for each and set them equal. It works out particularly easy if you find dy/dx for the circle using implicit differentiation.

You are, of course, correct. I should have thought about it more carefully.

vela said:
You are, of course, correct. I should have thought about it more carefully.

You didn't say anything wrong. I wasn't responding to your suggestion. I was responding to the original post. Plotting is always a great idea!

Last edited:

1. What is an inscribed circle?

An inscribed circle is a circle that is drawn inside a polygon or a shape in such a way that its edges touch the sides of the polygon or shape at exactly one point.

2. Why is optimizing the inscribed circle important?

Optimizing the inscribed circle is important because it can help find the maximum or minimum value of a certain property of the polygon or shape, such as its area or perimeter.

3. How is the inscribed circle optimized?

The inscribed circle is optimized by finding the center of the circle, which is also the center of the polygon or shape, and then calculating the radius of the circle using mathematical equations or geometric constructions.

4. What factors affect the optimization of the inscribed circle?

The factors that affect the optimization of the inscribed circle include the size and shape of the polygon or shape, the position of the circle within the polygon or shape, and any constraints or limitations placed on the optimization process.

5. What are some real-life applications of optimizing the inscribed circle?

Optimizing the inscribed circle has various real-life applications, such as in architecture and engineering where it can be used to design efficient and aesthetically pleasing structures, and in manufacturing where it can be used to optimize the use of materials and minimize waste.