Power, Voltage and Current - Hairdryer Problem

In summary, power, voltage, and current are important electrical measurements. Power is the amount of energy consumed or produced per unit time, voltage is the force that pushes electric charges through a circuit, and current is the movement of electric charges through a conductor. The relationship between these three measurements can be described by the equation P = VI, where P is power, V is voltage, and I is current. The hairdryer problem is a common example used to explain this relationship, where the hairdryer represents a load that requires a certain amount of power to function properly. If the voltage or current supplied to a hairdryer is too high, it can cause damage or pose a safety risk. To ensure correct usage, always check the manufacturer
skibum143

Homework Statement

A typical household circuit is capable of carrying 30.0 A of current at 120 V before the circuit breaker will trip. How many 1500-W hair dryers can run off one such circuit?

Use the relation between power, current and voltage. Also, remember hair dryers come in integer units.

Homework Equations

P = VI

The Attempt at a Solution

P = 120 * 30 = 3600
3600/1500 = 2.4

This is incorrect and I don't understand why. Am I missing something?

Physics news on Phys.org
What's 0.4 of a hairdryer?

Ah, thank you. I only put 2.4 because they said "Also, remember hair dryers come in integer units" so I thought they wanted the .4.

Thank you!

1. What is the difference between power, voltage, and current?

Power, voltage, and current are all important electrical measurements. Power is the amount of energy consumed or produced per unit time. Voltage is the force that pushes electric charges through a circuit. Current is the movement of electric charges through a conductor. In simple terms, voltage is the potential energy, current is the flow of energy, and power is the rate of energy transfer.

2. What is the relationship between power, voltage, and current?

The relationship between power, voltage, and current can be described by the equation P = VI, where P is power in watts, V is voltage in volts, and I is current in amps. This means that the power consumed or produced in a circuit is directly proportional to the voltage and current.

3. How does a hairdryer problem relate to power, voltage, and current?

The hairdryer problem is a common example used to explain the relationship between power, voltage, and current. In this scenario, the hairdryer represents a load that requires a certain amount of power (watts) to operate. The voltage and current supplied by the outlet must match the requirements of the hairdryer to function properly.

4. What happens if the voltage or current supplied to a hairdryer is too high?

If the voltage or current supplied to a hairdryer is too high, it can cause damage to the hairdryer or even pose a safety risk. For example, if the voltage is too high, it can cause the hairdryer to overheat and potentially catch fire. Similarly, if the current is too high, it can damage the internal components of the hairdryer and render it unusable.

5. How can I ensure I am using the correct power, voltage, and current for my hairdryer?

To ensure you are using the correct power, voltage, and current for your hairdryer, you should always check the manufacturer's instructions or labels on the hairdryer. This will specify the required voltage and current for the hairdryer to function properly. Additionally, you can use a multimeter to measure the voltage and current supplied by the outlet before plugging in your hairdryer.