Simple Lens Diagram for a Camera

In summary, the conversation discusses the formation of an image on a film using a simple camera with a converging lens. Three rays from the tree to the lens are shown in the attached diagram and the task is to complete the paths to show the image formation. The top two rays must meet at the same place on the screen, forming an inverted and diminished image. The bottom line is drawn up to ground level, completing the diagram.
ZedCar

Homework Statement

A simple camera has a converging lens and the image is in focus on the screen.

The paths of three rays from the tree to the lens are shown in the attached diagram.

Complete these paths to show the formation of the image on the film.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have attached the diagram for the above question.

I think I would place a ruler on the central line and continue this line to the screen.

Then on the bottom I would draw this up to ground level.

Is this correct?

If it is, I was wondering about the top ray. Should this be drawn across to the screen parallel with the ground?

Thank you :smile:

Attachments

• lens diagram for camera.doc
    78.5 KB · Views: 302
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The two top rays must meet at the same place on the screen because they will form an image of the top of the tree. That should give you a clue how to finish the diagram. The two rays you described are correct.
If you draw what you think it should look like we can check if it's ok.

Thanks Stonebridge,

I don't have access to a scanner at the moment to sketch and re-post.

But I think after I have placed a ruler on the central line and continue this line to the screen, I would then draw the top line straight to meet where the central line touches the screen.

Then with the bottom line I would draw this up to ground level.

When I draw a little sketch of the tree on the screen this sketch would be of an inverted tree.

How does this sound?

That sounds perfect to me. An inverted, real and diminished image.

I would like to clarify that the diagram provided is a simplified representation of a camera and its lens system. In reality, the formation of an image on the film involves more complex processes such as refraction and reflection of light rays.

To answer your question, the top ray should be drawn parallel to the ground, as it represents a light ray coming from the top of the tree and passing through the center of the lens, which is known as the principal axis. This ray will then converge towards the focal point and continue on to form the image on the film.

Additionally, the other two rays shown in the diagram represent light rays coming from the top and bottom of the tree and passing through the outer edges of the lens. These rays will also converge towards the focal point and form the image on the film.

Overall, the formation of an image on the film in a simple camera involves the convergence of light rays from different parts of the object onto a single point on the film, resulting in a clear and focused image.

1. What is a simple lens diagram for a camera?

A simple lens diagram for a camera is a schematic representation of the basic components of a camera lens. It typically includes a diagram of the lens elements, aperture, and focal length, and shows how light travels through the lens to create an image.

2. How does a simple lens work in a camera?

A simple lens works by bending light rays as they pass through it. This bending, also known as refraction, allows the lens to focus the light onto the camera's sensor or film, creating a sharp image. The amount of bending is determined by the shape and curvature of the lens.

3. What are the elements of a simple lens in a camera?

The elements of a simple lens in a camera typically include a convex or concave piece of glass or plastic, known as a lens element, and an aperture, which controls the amount of light entering the lens. Some lenses may also have additional elements, such as filters, to improve image quality.

4. What is the importance of understanding a simple lens diagram for a camera?

Understanding a simple lens diagram for a camera is important for photographers because it helps them understand how their lenses work and how to use them effectively. It also allows them to make informed decisions when selecting lenses for different types of photography.

5. How does the focal length of a simple lens affect a camera's image?

The focal length of a simple lens determines the magnification of the image and the angle of view. A shorter focal length results in a wider angle of view and a larger field of view, while a longer focal length produces a narrower angle of view and a smaller field of view. This can greatly impact the composition and perspective of a photograph.