Simple lens question (camera)

In summary, a camera has a converging lens of focal length 50.0 mm. It is used to photograph a tree 3.00 m high. The tree is 8.00 m away from the lens. Calculate the distance v between the lens and the film, giving your answer in mm to three significant figures.
ZedCar

Homework Statement

Was wondering if someone could help...
A simple camera has a converging lens of focal length 50.0 mm.

It is used to photograph a tree 3.00 m high.

The tree is 8.00 m away from the lens.

Calculate the distance v between the lens and the film, giving your answer in mm to three significant figures.

Homework Equations

1/f = 1/u + 1/v
m = v/u

The Attempt at a Solution

Using:
1/f = 1/u + 1/v

1/50 = 1/8000 + 1/(v)
v = 50.3 mm

Then to calculate the linear magnification of the image, using m = v/u with same v and u values from above? (both in metres)

i.e.

m = 0.0503 / 8 = 0.0063

Though as the image gets flipped upside down it's probably:
m = -0.0503 / 8 = -0.0063

Thank you :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good. In fact the correct equation for magnification does have the minus sign:

m = -v/u

Redbelly98 said:
In fact the correct equation for magnification does have the minus sign:

m = -v/u

Thanks very much Redbelly98. I hadn't realized that!

Redbelly98 said:
In fact the correct equation for magnification does have the minus sign:

m = -v/u

Is that definitely correct?

I looked the equation up in my CGP Physics Revision Guide and it states the equation as:

m = v/u

ZedCar said:
Is that definitely correct?

I looked the equation up in my CGP Physics Revision Guide and it states the equation as:

m = v/u

Yes, it is m=-v/u.

So substituting with the numbers from the initial post:
m = -v / u
m = -0.0503 / 8 = -0.0063

So the answer for m is definitely a -'ve answer and not +'ve ?

Yes. The image is inverted, and m is negative.

I had thought, from what I learned in class, that the -'ve sign indicated that the image was virtual.

I hadn't realized it was an indication of whether the image was inverted.

Which is why I thought the m would be +'ve since the camera image is real.

I haven't been studying diagrams for long, so it would appear that I have not quite got the concept correct yet.

The fundamental definition of magnification is the ratio of the heights, himage/hobject, with an inverted image treated as a negative height. Many physics textbooks use a geometric argument, using similar triangles, to show that this is equivalent to -v/u. The -v/u formula is generally more useful, since it's more common to give information about the distance from the lens rather than the height.

1. What is a simple lens?

A simple lens is a type of lens that consists of a single piece of glass or plastic with curved surfaces. It is used in cameras and other optical devices to focus light and create an image.

2. How does a simple lens work?

A simple lens works by bending light as it passes through the curved surfaces. This bending, also known as refraction, causes the light to converge or focus at a specific point, creating a clear image.

3. What are the main components of a simple lens camera?

The main components of a simple lens camera include the lens itself, the aperture, and the shutter. The lens focuses the light onto the film or digital sensor, the aperture controls the amount of light entering the camera, and the shutter controls the duration of the exposure.

4. Can a simple lens camera take high-quality photos?

Yes, a simple lens camera can take high-quality photos depending on the quality of the lens and the camera's settings. Many professional photographers use simple lens cameras for their simplicity and ability to create beautiful images.

5. What are the advantages of using a simple lens camera?

The main advantages of using a simple lens camera are its compact size, lightweight, and ease of use. These cameras are also typically more affordable compared to complex lens systems, making them accessible to beginners and hobbyists. Additionally, simple lens cameras can produce sharp images with a shallow depth of field, making them ideal for portrait and macro photography.