Which Bond is More Polar: Carbon Hydrogen or Phospohorous Hydrogen?

In summary, the element phosphorous is more polar in a carbon-hydrogen bond compared to carbon due to its higher electronegativity value. The polarity of a carbon-hydrogen bond can be determined by calculating the difference in electronegativity values and can be either polar or nonpolar. Factors such as electronegativity difference, molecular geometry, and other atoms or functional groups can affect the polarity of a carbon-hydrogen bond. The polarity of this bond can also impact the overall properties and reactivity of a molecule.
dacruick
I had a question in a lab about which elements are least likely to form polar covalent bonds with hydrogen. From what I understand, what governs how polar a bond is, is the electronegativity of the element. The answer said that Carbon was the one which was least likely to form the bond, but using my periodic table I see that phosphorous has the same electronegativity as hydrogen.

So shouldn't phosphorous share the bond most evenly? I've asked a couple other people and they say that phosphorous might be an exception because it can expand its octet...but that doesn't make sense to me.

Thank you,

dacruick

Chemistry news on Phys.org
The answer you were given is correct. Carbon is the least likely element to form a polar covalent bond with hydrogen because it has the lowest electronegativity of the elements listed. Phosphorus does have a higher electronegativity than hydrogen, but it also has the ability to expand its octet. This means that it can form more than just a single covalent bond, which can lead to a more non-polar bond. Thus, even though phosphorus has a higher electronegativity, it is still less likely to form a polar covalent bond with hydrogen than carbon.

1. Which element, carbon or phosphorous, is more polar in a carbon-hydrogen bond?

Phosphorous is more polar in a carbon-hydrogen bond because it has a higher electronegativity value than carbon. This means that phosphorous has a greater ability to attract electrons towards itself, resulting in a more polar bond compared to carbon.

2. How do you determine the polarity of a bond between carbon and hydrogen?

The polarity of a bond between carbon and hydrogen can be determined by calculating the difference in electronegativity values between the two elements. If the difference is greater than 0.4, the bond is considered polar, with the more electronegative element being the negative end of the bond.

3. Is a carbon-hydrogen bond always nonpolar?

No, a carbon-hydrogen bond can be either polar or nonpolar depending on the electronegativity values of the two elements involved. If the difference in electronegativity is less than 0.4, the bond is considered nonpolar.

4. What factors can affect the polarity of a carbon-hydrogen bond?

The main factor that affects the polarity of a carbon-hydrogen bond is the difference in electronegativity between carbon and hydrogen. Other factors such as molecular geometry and the presence of other atoms or functional groups in the molecule can also influence the polarity of the bond.

5. How does the polarity of a carbon-hydrogen bond affect the properties of a molecule?

The polarity of a carbon-hydrogen bond can affect the overall polarity and reactivity of a molecule. A molecule with polar carbon-hydrogen bonds will have a higher polarity and may exhibit stronger intermolecular forces, resulting in a higher boiling point and solubility in polar solvents. Additionally, the polarity of a carbon-hydrogen bond can also affect the reactivity of the molecule in certain chemical reactions.