Design a Flashlight LED Reflector Lens for Flooding

In summary, the conversation discusses the design of a flashlight using a new LED reflector. The speaker wants the light to flood on the edges and plans to use a lens to achieve this. They are looking for simple tools to help them design the lens and are inquiring about where to find a cheap lens. Suggestions for software such as tracepro or lighttools are mentioned.
Hot Brass
I'm designing a flashlight using a new LED reflector. It creates a good spot, but I want it to flood on the edges. See image below. My thought was to create a lens and put it in front of the LED reflector to disperse the light around the edges. Can anyone point me to some simple tools that will help me design the lens?

Attachments

• light_dist.gif
    light_dist.gif
    5.8 KB · Views: 532
Engineering news on Phys.org
Thanks George. Where can I get cheap lens?

I'm in Atlanta. The lens needs to be about 2" in dia.

Hot Brass said:
I'm designing a flashlight using a new LED reflector. It creates a good spot, but I want it to flood on the edges. See image below. My thought was to create a lens and put it in front of the LED reflector to disperse the light around the edges. Can anyone point me to some simple tools that will help me design the lens?

you need a software,like tracepro or lighttools.

There are a few different approaches you could take to designing a lens for your flashlight LED reflector. One option is to use a computer-aided design (CAD) software, such as SolidWorks or AutoCAD, to create a 3D model of your flashlight and experiment with different lens shapes and configurations. These programs also have tools for simulating light propagation and can help you visualize how the light will behave with different lens designs.

Another option is to use a ray tracing software, such as Zemax or OpticStudio, specifically designed for optical systems. These programs allow you to input the properties of your LED and lens materials and simulate how the light will be dispersed and focused.

If you prefer a more hands-on approach, you could also experiment with different lens shapes and materials using a 3D printer. There are many free and open-source CAD programs available that can help you design the lens and prepare it for printing.

Regardless of the method you choose, it is important to consider factors such as the material properties of the lens, the angle and intensity of the LED light, and the desired beam pattern for your flashlight. It may also be helpful to consult with an optical engineer or do some research on lens design principles to ensure the best results for your flashlight.

1. How does the shape of the reflector lens affect the light output of a flashlight?

The shape of the reflector lens plays a crucial role in the light output of a flashlight. A parabolic shape is typically used to focus the light into a narrow beam, while a convex shape helps to spread the light in a wider angle. Therefore, the shape of the reflector lens for flooding would be designed with a convex shape to disperse the light over a larger area.

2. What material should be used for the reflector lens?

The material used for the reflector lens should have high reflectivity, meaning it should be able to reflect a high percentage of light that hits its surface. Aluminum is a commonly used material for flashlight reflector lenses due to its high reflectivity and durability.

3. How can the angle of the reflector lens be optimized for maximum light output?

The angle of the reflector lens can be optimized by using a computer program or conducting experiments to determine the best angle for maximum light output. Factors such as the LED position and reflector shape can also affect the optimal angle.

4. Are there any design considerations for the size of the reflector lens?

Yes, the size of the reflector lens should be proportional to the size of the LED and the intended use of the flashlight. A larger reflector can help to disperse the light over a wider area, but it may also add weight and bulk to the flashlight. The size of the reflector should be carefully chosen to balance these factors.

5. Can a reflector lens be designed for both flooding and spotlighting?

Yes, it is possible to design a reflector lens for both flooding and spotlighting. This can be achieved by using a hybrid reflector design that combines the features of both convex and parabolic shapes. However, this may result in a compromise in the efficiency of the flashlight's light output. It is recommended to design a reflector lens specifically for either flooding or spotlighting for optimal performance.