Job opportunities for biomedical engineers?

In summary: Your experience is definitely valid and I would recommend looking into the professional societies that serve BioEs.
Elante
Hello all!

I recently graduated with a BS in physics and I will be entering a PhD program for biomedical engineering this upcoming Fall. I have several questions about the professional careers of biomedical engineers, though:

1) Where are BME PhDs typically employed? I would guess they're usually employed by universities?

2) Which subfields of biomedical engineering is in high-demand? (As far as I know, these are biomaterials, imaging, biomechanics, and neural engineering)

3) How much $$ can you expect to make in a year?

4) Which regions (if any in particular) in the US have a high demand for biomedical engineers?

I'm most interested in neural engineering and computational neuroscience, but I guess I'm worried that those subfields aren't as much in demand as some of the other ones (prosthetics and what not). Basically, I want to be very employable whether it be in academia, industry, government, etc., and I'm willing to do something a little less interesting to me in exchange for a high chance of getting a job when I finish my degree.

Any answers/comments would be appreciated! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
A good place to look for information on (1) (3) and (4) is the Bureau of Labor Statistics website.

Here is the page on biomedical engineers:
http://www.bls.gov/oes/2009/may/oes172031.htm

This provides you with wage distributions, locations, and industries. One thing this data does not provide is a breakdown by education level. You will have to look elsewhere for that information. However, from this page, you can see that the majority of biomedical engineers work in industry. If you follow the links to get the complete table, only 920 out of 46330 biomedical engineers work in a university. Those who do are likely to be mostly PhDs, but I suspect that most PhDs in this field work in the medical device and pharmaceutical fields.

As for part (2), I suggest looking into the professional societies that serve BioEs and seeing what is currently hot. This document http://www.careercornerstone.org/pdf/bioeng/bioeng.pdf contains links to a variety of professional societies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info Ben!

If you don't mind me asking, are you a biomedical engineer?

You are welcome. I am not a biomedical engineer, but rather a medical engineer. I simply work in the medical device field, designing implantable medical devices. My education is in physics, but I do work with a number of people who have BioE degrees from Bachelors to PhD.

As a scientist with a background in biomedical engineering, I can provide some insight into your questions about job opportunities for biomedical engineers.

1) BME PhDs can be employed in a variety of settings, including universities, research institutions, government agencies, and private companies. It really depends on your specific interests and career goals. If you are interested in pursuing a career in academia, then a university would be a good place to start. However, if you are more interested in industry or government work, there are plenty of opportunities in those sectors as well.

2) The subfields of biomedical engineering that are in high-demand can vary, but as you mentioned, biomaterials, imaging, biomechanics, and neural engineering are all areas that are growing in demand. Other areas that are also in demand include tissue engineering, medical device design, and regenerative medicine. It's important to keep in mind that the field of biomedical engineering is constantly evolving, so it's important to stay up-to-date on the latest developments and technologies to remain competitive in the job market.

3) The salary for biomedical engineers can vary depending on several factors, including education level, experience, and job location. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for biomedical engineers in 2019 was $91,410. However, this can vary significantly depending on the specific job and industry. For example, those working in research and development may earn more than those in manufacturing. Additionally, location can also impact salary, with certain regions of the US offering higher salaries due to demand and cost of living.

4) In terms of regions with a high demand for biomedical engineers, the top states with the highest employment levels are California, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, Texas, and Minnesota. However, there are also opportunities in other regions, as the demand for biomedical engineers continues to grow across the country.

Overall, it's important to remember that the field of biomedical engineering is constantly expanding and evolving, so it's important to stay adaptable and open to different opportunities. Pursuing a PhD in a specific subfield, such as neural engineering, can definitely make you more marketable in that area, but it's also important to have a broad skill set and stay current with the latest technologies and developments in the field. I wish you the best of luck in your future career as a biomedical engineer!

1. What is a biomedical engineer?

A biomedical engineer is a professional who applies principles of engineering to solve problems in the healthcare industry. They use their knowledge of biology, medicine, and engineering to design and develop medical equipment, devices, and computer systems.

2. What are the job responsibilities of a biomedical engineer?

The job responsibilities of a biomedical engineer include researching and developing new medical devices and equipment, designing and testing prototypes, analyzing data and creating reports, collaborating with medical professionals and other engineers, and ensuring that all equipment and devices meet safety and quality standards.

3. What industries do biomedical engineers work in?

Biomedical engineers can work in a variety of industries, such as healthcare, pharmaceuticals, medical device manufacturing, research and development, and government organizations. They may also work in hospitals, universities, and private research laboratories.

4. What education and skills are required to become a biomedical engineer?

Most biomedical engineering positions require a minimum of a bachelor's degree in biomedical engineering or a related field. Some employers may also prefer candidates with a master's degree or Ph.D. in biomedical engineering. Key skills for this field include strong analytical and problem-solving abilities, attention to detail, and proficiency in computer-aided design (CAD) software.

5. What is the job outlook for biomedical engineers?

The job outlook for biomedical engineers is positive, with a projected growth rate of 5% from 2019 to 2029, which is faster than the average for all occupations. This growth is fueled by the increasing demand for medical technologies and devices, as well as the aging population's need for medical treatments and procedures.