Difference between kinetic and static friction?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the coefficient of static friction for a car negotiating a level curve at a constant speed. It is mentioned that the kinetic coefficient of friction is smaller and only applicable when the car is slipping, while the static coefficient is needed for a car with rolling wheels. The question asks for the coefficient of static friction, and with the given information, it is not possible to calculate the coefficient of kinetic friction.
Sean1218

Homework Statement

A car of mass 1.1 x 103 kg negotiates a level curve at a constant speed of 22 m/s, The curve has a radius of 85 m. Determine the coefficient of static friction that allows the car to make the turn.

Homework Equations

mv^2/r = uFg and not sure what for static friction

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the difference between kinetic friction and static friction, but I can't see a difference in how to calculate them. How do I calculate static coefficient of friction?

I figured kinetic coefficient of friction (u) would be this:

mv^2/r = umg
v^2/r = ug
v^2/rg = u

Physics news on Phys.org
I figured kinetic coefficient of friction (u) would be this:
mv^2/r = umg
All that looks good, Sean. But the μ here is the static coefficient, not the kinetic one. You would only use the kinetic value when the rubber is slipping on the road. The kinetic μ is smaller so once it starts to slip, it will really slip.

I recall when I was 16 and starting to drive my Mom's car, I couldn't get the darn thing to go up a little hill into our driveway. The wheels just spun on the spot. The μk was too small to get a grip. My cousin took it over, put the car in second (manual transmission) and slowly drove it up the driveway. He was very careful on the gas pedal and the car had very little torque in 2nd gear so he didn't slip and the μs was adequate.

How would I calculate coefficient of kinetic friction then?

You can't calculate the coefficient of kinetic friction with the information given. You would need information about a slipping car, not one whose wheels are rolling on the road. Note that the question asks for the coefficient of static friction.

The only type of friction that you have enough given information to solve for is μs there is no way unless there is more information to solve for μk

What is the definition of kinetic friction?

Kinetic friction is the force that resists the relative motion between two surfaces that are in contact and are moving past each other. It is also known as sliding friction.

What is the definition of static friction?

Static friction is the force that prevents two surfaces from moving relative to each other when they are in contact and at rest. It is the force that must be overcome in order to set an object in motion.

What is the main difference between kinetic and static friction?

The main difference between kinetic and static friction is that kinetic friction occurs when two surfaces are already in motion, while static friction occurs when two surfaces are at rest and trying to move past each other.

How is kinetic friction affected by the weight of an object?

Kinetic friction is not affected by the weight of an object. It depends on the nature of the surfaces in contact, the force pressing the surfaces together, and the relative speed between them.

How can the coefficient of friction affect the amount of static and kinetic friction?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the frictional force between two surfaces. It can affect the amount of both static and kinetic friction, as it determines the strength of the force needed to overcome the friction between the surfaces.