Variable Capacitance of a Radio Dial

In summary, the capacitance of a variable capacitor in a radio can be changed from 100 to 350 pF by turning the dial from 0° to 180°. When the dial is set at 180°, the capacitor is connected to a 130 V battery and charges. After disconnecting from the battery and turning the dial back to 0°, the charge on the capacitor remains the same as it was at 180° due to the conservation of charge. The equation Q=C/V can be used to find the charge, and the hint provided suggests considering the work done in turning the dial.
matthew1991

Homework Statement

The capacitance of the variable capacitor of a radio can be changed from 100 to 350 pF by turning the dial from 0° to 180°. With the dial set at 180°, the capacitor is connected to a 130 V battery. After charging, the capacitor is disconnected from the battery and the dial is turned to 0°. What is the charge on the capacitor now?
K air= 1.000
K polystyrene= 2.3

Homework Equations

Q=C/V
V/V(sub)0=K
C=kCsub0=k*Epsilon naught*(A/D)
E=Q^2/2C=V^2*C/2=Q*V/2

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using conservation of energy to find charge by using V^2*C/2=Q6^2/2C, but it was't the right answer.
there is a hint given that says think about what quantity is conserved. I thought energy was always conserved?

Physics news on Phys.org
matthew1991 said:
I tried using conservation of energy to find charge by using V^2*C/2=Q6^2/2C, but it was't the right answer.
there is a hint given that says think about what quantity is conserved. I thought energy was always conserved?

Energy is always conserved, but did you account for the work you had to do in order to turn the dial?

The hint was a good one though. Question: where can the charge go when you turn the dial if the capacitor is disconnected?

I made this way more complicated than it needed to be. Charge is always conserved, so Q=CV at 180 deg is the same Q still at 0 deg. I had pF as E-9 instead of E-12

What is variable capacitance of a radio dial?

Variable capacitance of a radio dial is a measure of how much the capacitance changes as the dial is turned on a radio. It is affected by the spacing and surface area of the plates in the capacitor.

What is the purpose of variable capacitance in a radio dial?

The purpose of variable capacitance in a radio dial is to allow for precise tuning of specific radio frequencies. By adjusting the capacitance, the resonant frequency of the circuit can be changed, allowing the radio to tune into different stations.

How does variable capacitance affect the performance of a radio?

Variable capacitance plays a crucial role in the performance of a radio. It allows for precise tuning of specific frequencies, which is essential for clear and accurate reception of radio signals. Without variable capacitance, the radio would not be able to tune into different stations accurately.

What factors can affect the variable capacitance of a radio dial?

The spacing and surface area of the plates in the capacitor are the main factors that affect the variable capacitance of a radio dial. Other factors, such as temperature and humidity, can also have a minor impact on the capacitance.

How is variable capacitance measured in a radio dial?

Variable capacitance is typically measured in picofarads (pF). This unit represents the amount of charge that can be stored in the capacitor when a voltage is applied. The higher the capacitance, the more charge can be stored, and the greater the tuning range of the radio dial.