Micro-transactions [Research Paper Help]

• Thread starter yik-boh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Paper
In summary, the conversation was about a student asking for help with their research paper on micro-transactions. They were looking for opinions and information on the benefits and drawbacks of micro-transactions and were also interested in conducting interviews for first-hand data. However, it was suggested that seeking sources and doing proper research may be more beneficial than gathering opinions from random people. The thread was ultimately locked due to the nature of the discussion.
yik-boh
Guys, I need your help. I am now doing a research paper for my English class. It is about Micro-transactions. I am trying to prove that Micro-transaction will help solve or lessen piracy. I need your opinions about micro-transaction.

What are the benefits you get from it?
What is/are lacking on the said business model?
How the flexibility of micro-transactions make it so that the price/cost of buying a product is not seen by the buyer as prohibitive and makes it so that the product is made much more accessible to people because of the decrease in price and adaptable paying scheme.

Those are just some of the questions. You can add if you want. Also, maybe you can write your real name when you answer because I might need it for bibliographical purposes. I hope you can help me. Thanks! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Is it actually part of your assignment that you are supposed to get opinions from others? Otherwise I think your thread may violate the homework help guidelines.

It is a research paper so I think first hand data in this case, interview, will be very useful and I mentioned that I will credit those who will answer by putting them in the citations or bibliography.

Those questions are better answered by research into people who actually know what it all means - or alternatively books/sources that can do so.

Interviewing random people on a site isn't really very good, and even if someone gives you some answers, without checking their accuracy it could be complete tripe and make your "first hand data" a load of nonsense. Remember, opinions =/= facts.

I may have a strong opinion on how bad it is and it doesn't help - but the reality may be the complete opposite.

So unless you are specifically looking for 'iffy data' you'd be better off asking for sources to help you answer them than for the answers themselves.

@jared: thanks for the advice! :) I will look into that. Yes maybe you're right but we can still wait if there are people who will answer or as you suggested, will give sources. :)

I agree with TSA & jared, this thread doesn't make sense.

Topic locked.

1. What are micro-transactions?

Micro-transactions are small, digital purchases within a larger game or application. These transactions typically involve spending real money to obtain virtual items, upgrades, or other in-game advantages.

2. How do micro-transactions affect players?

Micro-transactions can have both positive and negative effects on players. On one hand, they can provide a sense of personalization and customization within a game, and can also offer a way to support developers financially. However, they can also lead to pay-to-win scenarios and create a divide between players who can afford to make these purchases and those who cannot.

3. Are micro-transactions a new phenomenon?

No, micro-transactions have been around for decades, but have become more prevalent in recent years due to the rise of mobile gaming and free-to-play models. They also have a long history in the gaming industry, with early examples dating back to arcade games in the 1980s.

4. What are some potential ethical concerns surrounding micro-transactions?

One ethical concern is the targeting of vulnerable populations, such as children, who may not fully understand the concept of spending real money within a game. Another concern is the potential for addictive behavior and overspending, particularly in games that use gambling mechanics.

5. How can we study the impact of micro-transactions?

There are a variety of research methods that can be used to study the impact of micro-transactions, including surveys, experiments, and content analysis of player behavior. Researchers can also analyze game data and conduct interviews with players to gain a better understanding of their experiences and perspectives.