2-axis rotation to 3-axis lift

In summary, the experiment involves pitching and rolling a disc mounted by three vertical "pistons" at 120 degree intervals. The goal is to convert tilts in the x and y directions to vertical movements of each piston while keeping the center of the disc at a constant height. The equations used involve trigonometry and the length and angle of the positioners. After struggling to find a solution, it was discovered that the average height of the three points could be measured and used to move the pistons accordingly.
dav_i

Homework Statement

Hi there,
In my experiment I have a disc which needs to be pitched and rolled about it's centre. The disk is mounted by three verticle "pistons" one every 120degrees. I need to convert a tilt in the x-direction [tex]\theta_x[/tex] and a tilt in the y-direction [tex]\theta_y[/tex] to how much each piston should be raised and lowered by. An additional constraint is that the centre of the disc must stay at the same height.
I've been bashing my head against a wall with this for what seems like forever and any help will be appreciated...

Homework Equations

We name the positioners A, B and C at height [tex]z_{a,b,c}[/tex] and the angle from origin O to A is [tex]\alpha[/tex] O to B as [tex]\beta[/tex] and O to C [tex]\gamma[/tex].
The direction O to A is at an angle of [tex]\Omega[/tex] to the x-axis.
The length of O to A is r.

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured out that
[tex]\alpha = \theta_x\cos\Omega + \frac{\sqrt{3}}{3}\sin\Omega+ \theta_y\frac{\sqrt{3}}{3}\cos\Omega-\theta_y\sin\Omega[/tex]
and
[tex]\beta = \theta_x 2 \frac{\sqrt{3}}{3} \sin \Omega + \theta_y 2 \frac{\sqrt{3}}{3} \cos\Omega[/tex]
From here I get stuck: I've tried many things but I know they're wrong (as in my experiment it doesn't work properly!)
Any help please, thanks in advance

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Solution found!
Measure the average height of the three points.
Use trig to move z_a and z_b.
Remeasure average height.
Move z_a, z_b and z_c all the difference between the two.

1. What is 2-axis rotation to 3-axis lift?

2-axis rotation to 3-axis lift refers to the process of converting a rotational movement around two axes to a lifting movement along three axes. This is commonly seen in helicopter rotor blades, where the rotation of the blades around two axes allows for lift to be generated along three axes.

2. How does 2-axis rotation to 3-axis lift work?

The conversion from 2-axis rotation to 3-axis lift is achieved through a mechanism called the swashplate. This mechanism translates the rotational motion of the blades around two axes into a tilting motion, allowing for lift to be generated along three axes.

3. What are the advantages of 2-axis rotation to 3-axis lift?

One of the main advantages of 2-axis rotation to 3-axis lift is its ability to generate lift along multiple axes, providing greater control and stability in flight. This also allows for more complex maneuvers to be performed, making it a preferred method for flying vehicles such as helicopters.

4. Are there any limitations to 2-axis rotation to 3-axis lift?

While 2-axis rotation to 3-axis lift is a highly effective method for generating lift, it does have some limitations. The swashplate mechanism can be complex and requires precise calibration, making it more prone to mechanical failures. Additionally, this method may not be as efficient for generating lift at high speeds, compared to other methods such as winged flight.

5. How is 2-axis rotation to 3-axis lift used in other contexts?

2-axis rotation to 3-axis lift is not limited to just helicopters. This principle is also used in other engineering applications, such as in robotics and industrial machinery. By converting rotational motion into multiple axes of movement, this mechanism allows for greater versatility and control in various machines and systems.