How can a vector be multiplied by itself ?

• Thread starter ahmadka
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, this equation is used to find a mapping which takes high dimensional data and maps it to a lower dimensional data. The mapping transformation matrix is what we have to find, and it should minimize the error between the original and projected data.
ahmadka
Hi all ... Well I'm reading a paper and this simple least squares equation is not making sense to me .. This is the equation (I tried using latex but it ain't working well for me):

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/3046/equationk.png

A little background on this equation:

basically this equation is being used for finding a mapping which takes some high dimensionality data (x), and maps it to some low dimensional data (y). The mapping transformation matrix (a) is what we have to find. The mapping should be such that we minimize the error between the original and projected data (as you can probably tell) ..

Inside the summation, y and x are being accessed serially in a column by column manner, and so yi and xi are referring to individual columns of matrices y and x, respectively .. Also, as you can probably tell, both y and x contain the same number of columns, m. Only the number of rows they each have is different ..

Now here's my question .. As far as I can tell (and I'm virtually sure I'm correct here), the result of the evaluation being performed inside the brackets would result in a column vector ... And then this column vector is being squared !? That is, this is what the equation is suggesting:

( <column vector here> )2

How is this possible ? Or is the equation maybe referring to a dot product here ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Doesn't aTxi result in a 1x1-matrix? I.e. a number

micromass said:

Nope ... aT is a matrix with both dimensions being greater than 1 .. xi and yi are column vectors ...

so this is basically what is happening here:

((matrix*column vector) - column vector) = (column vector - column vector) = column vector

(column vector)2 ... !??!

They probably mean the inproduct with itself. I.e.

[tex](x_1,...,x_n)^2=x_1^2+...+x_n^2[/tex]

I don't like the notation however...

micromass said:
Exactly.

The way to read this expression is that a and each xi are row vectors -- i.e., 1×N matrices. This makes aT an N×1 matrix, which in turn makes aTxi a scalar.

Last edited:
I agree with DH. Also see here.

D H said:
The way to read this expression is that a and each xi are row vectors -- i.e., 1×N matrices. This makes aT an N×1 matrix, which in turn makes aTxi a scalar.

The thing is with regards to the problem at hand, it makes more sense for a to be a matrix, and not a vector. I say this because a is a transformational matrix which takes a high dimensional column vector and turns it into a low dimensional column vector .. So for example, suppose x contains m column vectors which are each n dimensions long (so then x would be an nxm matrix), and we want to reduce the number of dimensions these column vectors use, from n to p let's say, and so n>p .. Let xi refer to anyone of the m column vectors in x, then ...

yi = aTxi

where yi contains the reduced number of dimensions, i.e. p ..

So for such a problem, a cannot be column vector .. rather is would be a pxn transformation matrix which transforms a nx1 column vector into a px1 column vector ...

So I really don't see how for the problem at hand, a can be a column vector ..

Landau said:
I agree with DH. Also see here.

Thats me again .. :)

ahmadka said:
The thing is with regards to the problem at hand, it makes more sense for a to be a matrix, and not a vector. ...
Ask yourself: Does that interpretation make any sense? Look at the equation to which you linked in the original post:

[tex]
\mathbf a = \underset{\mathbf a}{\operatorname{arg\,max}}
\sum_{i=1}^m \left(\mathbf a^T\mathbf x_i-y_i\right)^2
[/tex]

This means that aTx must have the same dimensionality as yi. Since yi is written in non-bold text, one can assume that each yi is a scalar. This means that each xi must be a n-vector (a row vector), as must a.

Backing up a bit, suppose you are doing an experiment where you are need to assess how a bunch of different independent variables affect the outcome of the experiment, with the outcome expressed as a scalar measurable quantity. To keep things simple, your first guess is that this scalar quantity is some unknown linear function of the independent variables. One approach to finding this linear relation is to find the solution that minimizes the sum of the squares of the residuals. That is exactly what the above equation does.

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical object that represents a quantity with both magnitude (size) and direction. It is commonly represented graphically as an arrow, with the length of the arrow indicating the magnitude and the direction of the arrow indicating the direction.

2. What does it mean to multiply a vector by itself?

Multiplying a vector by itself, also known as vector self-multiplication, is a mathematical operation that involves multiplying each element of a vector by itself. This results in a new vector with the same number of elements, but each element is the square of the original element.

3. How can a vector be multiplied by itself?

There are two main ways to multiply a vector by itself: using the dot product or the cross product. The dot product multiplies the corresponding elements of two vectors and then sums them up, resulting in a scalar value. The cross product, on the other hand, multiplies two vectors to produce a new vector that is perpendicular to both original vectors.

4. What is the purpose of multiplying a vector by itself?

The purpose of multiplying a vector by itself is to extract useful information from the vector, such as its magnitude or direction. It can also be used in vector calculus to simplify mathematical expressions and solve various problems in physics and engineering.

5. Can a vector be multiplied by itself more than once?

Yes, a vector can be multiplied by itself multiple times, resulting in a new vector with each element raised to a higher power. For example, multiplying a vector by itself three times is known as vector cube, and the resulting vector will have each element cubed. This operation is commonly used in higher-level mathematics and physics.