I want to make a DC adapter which outputs 13.5V 6AMP

• Thread starter alpstheguru
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Adapter Dc
In summary, the adapter will work on either 120 or 240V mains, but you'll need to make a switching regulator in order to achieve the specs specified.
alpstheguru
Any links or suggestions would be really helpful. I have a basic understanding about transformers, bridge rectifier & capacitor. I need help in shopping what transformer, diodes & capacitors should i buy. I tried to search online but couldn't find any. Adapter Specs IN> AC:100v-240v OUT> DC:13.5v 6AMP.
What I'm trying to make is
http://www.faylist.com/allliquidation/adapters/creative_ua1460_ac_adapter.htm
for 240V input instead 120V IN.

Thanks..

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
alpstheguru said:
Any links or suggestions would be really helpful. I have a basic understanding about transformers, bridge rectifier & capacitor. I need help in shopping what transformer, diodes & capacitors should i buy. I tried to search online but couldn't find any. Adapter Specs IN> AC:100v-240v OUT> DC:13.5v 6AMP.
What I'm trying to make is
http://www.faylist.com/allliquidation/adapters/creative_ua1460_ac_adapter.htm
for 240V input instead 120V IN.

Thanks..

Welcome to the PF.

Can you tell us what safety regulations apply to the AC Mains side of the adapter? Are you going to build it to UL safety specs, or TUV, or some other agency's safety specs? Working with AC Mains voltages is dangerous, so it's important that you understand the construction techniques that are required at the input section for the switch and transformer.

Also, your specs, "IN> AC:100v-240v OUT> DC:13.5v 6AMP" are not achievable with a transformer-based adapter. You would need to make a switching regulator to accomplish those specs, and that involves even more design issues...

Well,
I have about safety regulations But I'm certain that AC mains gives out 240V. What I'm trying to make is one of these http://www.faylist.com/allliquidation/adapters/creative_ua1460_ac_adapter.htm
But this one takes 120 V input & its not available in India. I want to make one as i specified above.

Creatiive certainly sell similar power supplies that run on 240V. I've got one sitting next to my PC right now in the UK. Model Number TEAC 66-135000V. 230V in, 13.5V 5A out. It looks the same as your picture.

Your specification "IN> AC:100v-240" means it will work on either 120 or 240V mains.

I don't know if there are any issues about them being unavailable in India, though.

AlephZero said:
Creatiive certainly sell similar power supplies that run on 240V. I've got one sitting next to my PC right now in the UK. Model Number TEAC 66-135000V. 230V in, 13.5V 5A out. It looks the same as your picture.

Your specification "IN> AC:100v-240" means it will work on either 120 or 240V mains.

I don't know if there are any issues about them being unavailable in India, though.

Cool Thanks. I wonder how much difference would 1 amp make. I'll try to find if it is available here.

What is a DC adapter?

A DC adapter is a device that converts the incoming alternating current (AC) power into direct current (DC) power, which is used to power electronic devices that require DC power.

How does a DC adapter work?

A DC adapter works by using a transformer to convert the AC power from the outlet to a lower voltage, and then using a rectifier to convert the AC power to DC power. The DC power is then regulated to the desired voltage and current output.

What is the output voltage and current of the DC adapter?

The output voltage of the DC adapter is 13.5V and the current is 6A. This means that the adapter is capable of providing a constant voltage of 13.5V and a maximum current of 6A to power electronic devices that require this level of power.

What devices can be powered by a DC adapter with these specifications?

A DC adapter with an output of 13.5V and 6A can power a variety of electronic devices, such as laptops, routers, LED lights, and small appliances. It is important to check the voltage and current requirements of the specific device before using the adapter to ensure compatibility.

Can I modify the output voltage and current of the DC adapter?

No, the output voltage and current of a DC adapter cannot be modified. These specifications are determined by the design and components of the adapter, and any attempts to modify them can result in damage to the adapter or the electronic device being powered.