Determining Protein Length from Western Blot

In summary, the distance migrated by proteins in an SDS-PAGE gel is related to the logarithm of the molecular weight. You can measure the distance migrated from the bottom of the well for each of the protein standards in lane 1, plot these distances versus the logarithms of their molecular weights, and find the best-fit line. This best-fit line can then be used to estimate the molecular weights of your samples in lane 2.
raymanray
Hello Forum,

please take a look at this image

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/98/0bigg.jpg/

It shows a Western blot of an extract of proteins.

My question is how can you determine the length of both proteins A and B graphically?

Could you please help me?

Biology news on Phys.org
raymanray said:
Hello Forum,

please take a look at this image

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/98/0bigg.jpg/

It shows a Western blot of an extract of proteins.

My question is how can you determine the length of both proteins A and B graphically?

Could you please help me?

ITYM 'mass' of the protein. IIRC, the mass scale is set using the ladder (the set of spots on the left), and the masses of unknown proteins is then read off the scale.

The distance migrated by proteins in an SDS-PAGE gel is related to the logarithm of the molecular weight. So, you can measure the distance migrated from the bottom of the well for each of the protein standards in lane 1, plot these distances versus the logarithms of their molecular weights, and find the best-fit line. This best-fit line can then be used to estimate the molecular weights of your samples in lane 2.

Thank you for your answers.

Ygggdrasil said:
The distance migrated by proteins in an SDS-PAGE gel is related to the logarithm of the molecular weight. So, you can measure the distance migrated from the bottom of the well for each of the protein standards in lane 1, plot these distances versus the logarithms of their molecular weights, and find the best-fit line. This best-fit line can then be used to estimate the molecular weights of your samples in lane 2.

Thank you for your answer.

I read on other websites that I have to measure the distance from the side above from where the proteins started.

How can I plot the distances and their molecular weights? Can you tell me step-by-step please?

What is a Western Blot?

A Western Blot is a laboratory technique used to detect specific proteins in a sample. It involves separating proteins by size using gel electrophoresis and then transferring them to a membrane for detection.

What is the purpose of Western Blot Protein Length?

The purpose of Western Blot Protein Length is to determine the size of a protein of interest. This information can be used to confirm the identity of a protein or to compare the size of a protein between samples.

How is Western Blot Protein Length measured?

Western Blot Protein Length is measured by comparing the migration of the protein of interest on the gel to known standards of known size. This is typically done using a protein ladder, which contains proteins of known size.

What factors can affect Western Blot Protein Length?

The size of a protein on a Western Blot can be affected by several factors including the type of gel used, the transfer conditions, and the antibody used for detection. It is important to optimize these conditions to accurately determine protein length.

What is the significance of Western Blot Protein Length in research?

Western Blot Protein Length is an important tool in protein research as it allows for the identification and characterization of specific proteins. It can also provide information about protein modifications or variations in size that may have biological significance.