How Is Power Transferred to a Load in a Circuit with a Cosine Voltage Source?

In summary: The given solution is off by a factor of about 4.4, so something is clearly way off in the OP's calculations. In summary, the power transferred when Vi(t) = 50 cos (4π 10t) in the attached figure is approximately 17.4 watts. The given solution of 3.82 watts is not accurate due to errors in the calculated Thevenin equivalent values and the neglect of reactive components in the circuit.
Bromio

Homework Statement

Calculate the power transferred when Vi(t) = 50 cos (4π 10t) in the attached figure.

Homework Equations

P(load) = |V(load rms)||I(load rms)|cos(phase(V)-phase(I))

The solution must be P(load) = 3.82 W.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've calculated the Thevenin equivalent of the circuit outside the load. Vth = 27.1<12.5º and Zth = 12.1<75.96º.

I've also calculated Zload = 50 Ω approximately.

V(load rms) is obtained by the voltage divisor. I got about 17.7<0º and I(load rms) = V(load rms)/Z(load) = 0.353<0º.

So, using the formula in section 2., P(load) = 6.24 W, which is not the correct result.

Where have I made a mistake?

Thank you.

Attachments

• power.png
    power.png
    3.6 KB · Views: 505
Physics news on Phys.org
The given solution of 3.82 W doesn't look credible for the given circuit. The Thevenin equivalent values that were obtained also don't make much sense, but since the OP did not supply details on the work done to obtain them I can't comment on what went wrong. I can however look into what the correct answer should be.

The operating frequency of the voltage source is pretty low: 20 Hz, so those tiny capacitors are going to have very high impedances compared to the circuit's resistors. The inductor is also small (only 0.318 μH) and at 20 Hz its impedance will be very small. Let's check:

##ω = 4 \pi 10 = 125.66~rad/sec##

##Z_{C1} = \frac{1}{j ω 536~pF} = -j~1.485×10^7~Ω##

##Z_{C2} = \frac{1}{j ω 100~pF} = -j~7.958×10^7~Ω##

##Z_L = j ω 0.318 μH = j~3.996×10^{-5}~Ω##

(Extra digits are kept for these values since they may be used in further calculations and we don't want rounding errors to intrude on our significant figures) We can see that these components really aren't going to affect the power transfer to the 50 Ohm load significantly. A very good approximation of the load voltage and current can thus be obtained by ignoring the reactive components and considering the resistors only. Let's do that.

The way that the source function is specified we can assume that the 50 V magnitude is a peak value. We should convert this to an RMS value if we're looking for power. So, let ##E = 50/\sqrt{2} = 35.36~V##. Then the load resistor current and voltage are:

##I_L = \frac{35.36~V}{60~Ω} = 0.5893~A## (RMS)

##V_L = I×50~Ω = 29.46~V## (RMS)

and the power will be:

##P = V I = 17.36~W##

So the "true" answer should be very close to 17.4 watts.

1. What is power transferred to load?

Power transferred to load refers to the amount of electrical energy that is delivered from a power source to a load, such as a light bulb or motor. It is a measure of the rate at which energy is transferred and is typically measured in watts (W).

2. How is power transferred to load calculated?

The formula for calculating power transferred to load is P = VI, where P is power in watts, V is voltage in volts, and I is current in amps. This formula is derived from Ohm's law, which states that voltage is equal to current multiplied by resistance (V = IR).

3. What factors affect the power transferred to load?

The power transferred to load is affected by several factors, including the voltage and current of the power source, the resistance of the load, and the efficiency of the system. Higher voltages and currents typically result in higher power transferred to load, while higher resistance and lower efficiency can reduce the amount of power transferred.

4. Can power transferred to load be increased?

Yes, power transferred to load can be increased by increasing the voltage or current of the power source, or by decreasing the resistance of the load. However, it is important to note that increasing the voltage or current beyond the recommended levels can be dangerous and may cause damage to the load or the power source.

5. How does power transferred to load affect energy efficiency?

The power transferred to load is directly related to energy efficiency, as it measures the amount of energy that is actually being used by the load. The higher the power transferred, the more energy is being used. This is why it is important to use energy-efficient devices and systems to reduce the power transferred to load and conserve energy.