Writing Gravitation Force On Central Sphere In Unit Vector Notation

In summary, a square of edge length 21.0 cm is formed by four spheres with masses m1 = 6.00 g, m2 = 3.00 g, m3 = 1.00 g, and m4 = 6.00 g. Using Newton's Law of Gravitation, the net gravitational force on a central sphere with mass m5 = 2.40 g can be calculated in unit-vector notation as F = <1.034E-14, 1.034E-14>. This calculation takes into account the distance between the central sphere and the other spheres, represented by the edge length of the square. The final answer is F = 1.46e-14 N
GingerBread27
In Figure 13-34, a square of edge length 21.0 cm is formed by four spheres of masses m1 = 6.00 g, m2 = 3.00 g, m3 = 1.00 g, and m4 = 6.00 g. In unit-vector notation, what is the net gravitational force from them on a central sphere with mass m5 = 2.40 g?

Well by using Newton's Law of Gravitation I get a single answer and I know it points towards m2 (or maybe I'm wrong). I just don't know how to write this in unit-vector notation.

I did F={(6.67e-11 m^3/kg*s^2)(.0024kg)(.003kg-.001kg)}/{(.148m)^2}

I get F=1.46e-14 N. I don't know if this is right, and if it is right I don't know how to put it in unit-vector notation.

Nevermind figured it out :)

Attachments

• hrw7_13-34.gif
    hrw7_13-34.gif
    1.6 KB · Views: 471
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Did you multiply by sin45/cos45 to get
F = <1.034E-14, 1.034E-14> ?
I was having the same difficultly...

In unit-vector notation, the net gravitational force on the central sphere with mass m5 = 2.40 g would be represented as:

F = 1.46e-14 N * (0.707i + 0.707j)

Where i and j are unit vectors in the x and y directions, respectively. This represents the direction of the force, which, as you correctly calculated, points towards the m2 sphere. The magnitude of the force is given by the scalar value, 1.46e-14 N.

1. What is gravitation force on a central sphere?

The gravitation force on a central sphere is the force of attraction between the central sphere and other objects due to their masses and the distance between them. It is one of the fundamental forces of nature and is responsible for keeping planets in their orbits around the sun.

2. Why is unit vector notation used to describe gravitation force?

Unit vector notation is used to describe gravitation force because it allows us to represent the direction of the force in a precise and concise manner. This notation uses a unit vector, which has a magnitude of 1, to indicate the direction of the force. This makes it easier to understand and calculate the force vector.

3. How is gravitation force on a central sphere calculated?

The gravitation force on a central sphere can be calculated using the equation F = G(m1m2)/r^2, where F is the force, G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the central sphere and the other object, and r is the distance between them. This equation is based on Newton's law of universal gravitation.

4. What is the role of the unit vector in gravitation force calculation?

The unit vector plays a crucial role in gravitation force calculation as it helps us determine the direction of the force. It is used to represent the direction of the force vector, which is perpendicular to the surface of the central sphere and points towards the object that is experiencing the force.

5. How is the direction of the unit vector determined in gravitation force calculation?

The direction of the unit vector is determined by the position of the object with respect to the central sphere. It always points towards the object and is perpendicular to the surface of the central sphere. This means that the unit vector changes direction as the object moves around the sphere, but its magnitude remains constant.