Resistance of a Wire experiment

In summary: Overall, it's important to be aware of these limitations and to take steps to minimize their impact on your experiment. In summary, the limitations mentioned in the conversation include issues with the wire heating up, precision and accuracy of measurements, rust on the crocodile clips, and potential resistance in the parallel branch.
Peter G.
Hi,

I have to come up with five limitations in my experiment in order to then explain them. This is the first time I do this, so some of my suggestions might seem absurd.

The experiment was the following: I had a power pack connected to an ammeter in series, a nichrome wire, a voltmeter in parallel to the wire in question and a variable resistor to keep the current constant. Using crocodile clips, I altered the length of the wire, in order to investigate its effect on the resistance.

The five limitations I have so far came up with (and please don't give away any if I haven't yet acknowledged it):

1. The fact that, as the wire got shorter and therefore the resistance greater, I could not keep the wire from heating up

2. The wire I was using had a tendency to wind up, diminishing my precision and accuracy in measuring the length

3. My crocodile clips were slightly rusty, which could have affected its ability to conduct electricity

4. I did not use ideal voltmeters and ammeters

5. In the parallel branch linking the wire in question and the voltmeter could have had some resistance of which I could not account for

Are those ok or not realistic?

Thanks,
Peter G.

Physics news on Phys.org
The limitations that you have provided are realistic and may be encountered in your experiment. It's important to consider all possible sources of error in experiments such as these, so that when you come to analyze the data, you are confident that it is accurate. Additionally, you may want to consider other factors that could affect the accuracy of the results, such as fluctuations in the power supply, or the fact that the voltage and current readings may not be 100% accurate due to the instruments you were using.

1. What is the purpose of a resistance of a wire experiment?

The purpose of a resistance of a wire experiment is to observe and measure the resistance of a wire and to understand how different factors such as length, cross-sectional area, and material affect the resistance of the wire.

2. What equipment is needed for a resistance of a wire experiment?

The equipment needed for a resistance of a wire experiment typically includes a power supply, an ammeter, a voltmeter, a wire of varying lengths and materials, and connecting wires. Additionally, a rheostat or variable resistor may be used to vary the current in the circuit.

3. How is the resistance of a wire calculated in the experiment?

The resistance of a wire can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that resistance (R) is equal to the voltage (V) divided by the current (I). In other words, R = V/I. The resistance can also be calculated by plotting a graph of voltage against current and finding the slope, which represents the resistance.

4. What are some potential sources of error in a resistance of a wire experiment?

Some potential sources of error in a resistance of a wire experiment include inaccurate readings from the ammeter or voltmeter, variations in the wire's thickness and uniformity, and changes in temperature which can affect the wire's resistance. It is important to take multiple readings and calculate an average to minimize these errors.

5. How does the length and cross-sectional area of a wire affect its resistance?

The length of a wire has a direct relationship with its resistance, meaning that as the length of the wire increases, so does its resistance. The cross-sectional area of a wire has an inverse relationship with resistance, meaning that as the cross-sectional area increases, the resistance decreases. This is because a thicker wire allows for more electrons to flow through, reducing the resistance.