Convergence of Series to |x|: A Calculus Approach

In summary, Rudin says that you can use the identity |x| - P_{n+1}(x) = \left( |x| - P_n(x) \right) \left( 1 - \frac{|x|+P_n(x)}{2} \right) to show that 0 \leq P_n(x) \leq P_{n+1}(x) \leq |x|. He also says that if |x| \leq 1, then |x|-P_n(x) \leq |x| \left( 1-\frac{|x|}{2} \right)^n < \frac
erogard
Hi everyone,

I need to show that [tex]\lim_{n\to\infty}P_n(x) = |x|[/tex] uniformly on [tex][-1,1][/tex]
if we define [tex]P_0 = 0[/tex] & [tex]P_{n+1} = P_n(x) + \frac{x^2 - P_n^2(x)}{2}[/tex]

Rudin gives the following hint: use the identity [tex]|x| - P_{n+1}(x) = \left( |x| - P_n(x) \right) \left( 1 - \frac{|x|+P_n(x)}{2} \right)[/tex]
to show that
[tex]0 \leq P_n(x) \leq P_{n+1}(x) \leq |x|[/tex]
if [tex]|x| \leq 1[/tex]
and that [tex]|x|-P_n(x) \leq |x| \left( 1-\frac{|x|}{2} \right)^n < \frac{2}{n+1}[/tex]
if [tex]|x| \leq 1[/tex] (though I think that's a typo, he probably meant greater than or equal)

From there I could readily show that the difference |x| - P_n goes to 0 when n goes to infinity.
But I'm not sure how to go about this problem. I would use recursion on n, and I was advised to consider the fact that the arithmetic average is always less or = than the highest term that enters the average (dunno how to use this fact here).

Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
erogard said:
(though I think that's a typo, he probably meant greater than or equal)

It's not a typo. You are always working with x in [-1,1].

So, where exactly are you stuck?? Can you show that "idenitity"? Can you show that

[tex]0\leq P_n(x)\leq P_{n+1}(x)\leq |x|[/tex]

Can you show that

[tex]|x|-P_n(x)\leq \frac{2}{n+1}[/tex]

Which of these three doesn't work?

Ok well I was able to show that [tex] P_n(x) \leq |x| [/tex] by recursion on n for all natural numbers n by using the given identity and the fact about the average that I mentioned. But not that P_n is less than P_n+1 yet, couldn't get the inductive step to work out the way I want (my inductive hypothesis being that there exist a natural number k such that P_k < P_k+1 and from there I'm trying to show that P_k+1 < P_k+2.

Also, my bad regarding the inequality with |x|, it's obv not a typo considering the interval we're working on.

erogard said:
Ok well I was able to show that [tex] P_n(x) \leq |x| [/tex] by recursion on n for all natural numbers n by using the given identity and the fact about the average that I mentioned. But not that P_n is less than P_n+1 yet, couldn't get the inductive step to work out.

OK, so you need to show that

[tex]P_n(x)\leq P_{n+1}(x)[/tex]

Writing out [itex]P_{n+1}(x)[/itex], you get that you need to show

[tex]P_n(x)\leq P_n(x)+\frac{x^2-P_n^2(x)}{2}.[/tex]

So, what can you do next??

Oh well that follows directly from the fact that [tex] P_n(x) \leq |x| [/tex] Ok thanks a lot. I will try to prove the second inequality now.

Still can't get the second part. Tried something with the binomial expansion to show that
[tex] |x| \left( 1-\frac{|x|}{2} \right)^n < \frac{2}{n+1}[/tex]
but I can't relate my result to 2/(n+1).

Also would you use recursion to show that [tex]|x|-P_n(x) \leq |x| \left( 1-\frac{|x|}{2} \right)^n [/tex] ?

EDIT: Just got the above inequality, I will try again the one with 2/(n+1).

erogard said:
Still can't get the second part. Tried something with the binomial expansion to show that
[tex] |x| \left( 1-\frac{|x|}{2} \right)^n < \frac{2}{n+1}[/tex]
but I can't relate my result to 2/(n+1).

Also would you use recursion to show that [tex]|x|-P_n(x) \leq |x| \left( 1-\frac{|x|}{2} \right)^n [/tex] ?

EDIT: Just got the above inequality, I will try again the one with 2/(n+1).

Why don't you try to find the maximum of

[tex] |x| \left( 1-\frac{|x|}{2} \right)^n [/tex]

by calculus?? Calculate the derivative and see what the critical points are (= where the derivative is 0 or does not exist)

micromass said:
Why don't you try to find the maximum of

[tex] |x| \left( 1-\frac{|x|}{2} \right)^n [/tex]

by calculus?? Calculate the derivative and see what the critical points are (= where the derivative is 0 or does not exist)

Got it, thanks a lot for your help.

1. What is a series converging to |x|?

A series converging to |x| is a mathematical concept where the sum of an infinite sequence of numbers approaches the absolute value of x as the number of terms in the sequence increases.

2. How is a series converging to |x| different from a regular series?

A regular series has a specific sum, while a series converging to |x| approaches the absolute value of x but may never reach it, even with an infinite number of terms.

3. What is the significance of a series converging to |x|?

A series converging to |x| is important in calculus and other branches of mathematics as it allows for the approximation of complex functions and helps in the evaluation of integrals and derivatives.

4. What is the formula for finding the sum of a series converging to |x|?

The formula for finding the sum of a series converging to |x| is given by S = x/1 + x^2/2 + x^3/3 + ..., where S is the sum and x is the variable.

5. How can I determine if a series is converging to |x|?

A series is converging to |x| if the absolute value of the ratio between consecutive terms in the series approaches 1 as the number of terms increases. This is known as the ratio test.