Proving Convergence of Sequences Using the Mean Value Theorem

• Thread starter quasar987
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Test
In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove the convergence of a sequence \{b_n\} based on the convergence of another sequence \{a_n\}. The solution involves splitting the sequence into two parts and using the concept of limsup and liminf. The conversation ends with appreciation for the proof.
quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
There was this question in my analysis exam today. I have a feeling it should be easy but no one I've asked knew how to do it.

We associate to the sequence [itex]\{a_n\}[/itex] the sequence defined by

[tex]b_n=\frac{a_1+a_2+...+a_n}{n}[/tex]

Show that if [itex]\{a_n\}[/itex] converges towards a, then [itex]\{b_n\}[/itex] converges towards a.

I realized that

[tex]b_n=\frac{\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} a_n}{n}[/tex]

or even

[tex]b_n=\frac{\sum_{k=1}^{n} a_k}{\sum_{k=1}^{n} 1}[/tex]

but all my attemps involving epsilon-delta, convergence tests, Cauchy convergence "caracterisation", etc. failed. Please tell me how to do this. Thanks a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
It often helps to split convergent sequences into two parts, an initial part, and the rest, because you can decide how much "the rest" resembles the limit.

let [tex] \epsilon > 0 [/tex]. then since a_n converges there exists N>0 such that [tex] a - \epsilon < a_n < a + \epsilon [/tex].

now [tex] b_n = \frac{a_1 + a_2 + ... + a_n}{n}[/tex] for n[tex]\geq[/tex]

so [tex] b_n = \frac{a_1 + a_2 + ... + a_N}{n} + \frac{a_1 + a_2 + ... + a_n}{n}[/tex]

& since [tex] \frac{(n-N)(a-\epsilon)}{n} < \frac{a_N+1 + ... + a_n}{n} < \frac{(n-N)(a+\epsilon)}{n}[/tex],

[tex] \frac{a_1 + a_2 + ... + a_N}{n} + \frac{(n-N)(a-\epsilon)}{n} < b_n < \frac{a_1 + a_2 + ... + a_N}{n} + \frac{(n-N)(a+\epsilon)}{n} [/tex]

now using that fact that [tex]\limsup a_n \leq \limsup b_n[/tex] if [tex]a_n \leq b_n[/tex] on the previous inequality we get

[tex]\limsup ( \frac{a_1 + a_2 + ... + a_N}{n} + \frac{(n-N)(a-\epsilon)}{n} ) \leq \limsup b_n \leq \limsup \frac{a_1 + a_2 + ... + a_N}{n} + \frac{(n-N)(a+\epsilon)}{n}[/tex].

since [tex]\lim ( \frac{a_1 + a_2 + ... + a_N}{n} + \frac{(n-N)(a-\epsilon)}{n} ) = 0 + (a - \epsilon[/tex] )
and [tex]\lim ( \frac{a_1 + a_2 + ... + a_N}{n} + \frac{(n-N)(a+\epsilon)}{n} ) = 0 + (a + \epsilon[/tex] )

we can conclude that
a - [tex]\epsilon \leq \limsup b_n \leq a+\epsilon[/tex], for any [tex]\epsilon > 0[/tex]

since epsilon is arbitrary, [tex] a \leq \limsup b_n \leq a [/tex], so [tex] a = \limsup b_n[/tex], similarily for liminf, and the result follows from the limsup & liminf being equal

Last edited:
holy cow!

I now feel my feeling was injustified. It's a beautiful proof and very instructive; a gazilion thanks fourier!

there are a couple lines that need fixing but i wonder if it would be worth the trouble or if people can still follow it. i need to get used to the tex-ing

It's good enough. And if I could understand it, the others must have too.

1. What type of questions were on the test?

The test consisted of a mix of multiple choice, short answer, and essay questions.

2. How many questions were on the test?

There were a total of 25 questions on the test.

3. Were there any trick questions on the test?

No, all questions on the test were straightforward and based on the material covered in class.

4. Can I review my test and see which questions I got wrong?

Unfortunately, test reviews are not allowed for this exam. However, you can schedule a meeting with the professor to discuss any questions you may have.

5. When will we receive our test scores?

Scores will be posted online within the next 3-5 business days. Please check the course website for updates.