Solve Elastic Scattering: T, Zr & E(initial)

In summary, the conversation is discussing a homework problem that involves finding the minimum energy of a neutron to displace two Zr atoms in a row. The equation given is used to calculate the transferred energy from the neutron to the target, and the displacement energy for Zr is also given. However, there is a lack of information regarding the initial energy of the incident particle. The person asking for help suggests solving for the initial energy and using it to find the initial speed of the neutron.
matt222

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

T=2*(m*M/(m+M)^2)*E(initial)*(1-cos(angle)), T is transferred energy from the neutron to the target.

displacement energy for Zr=40eV

The Attempt at a Solution

the question is strange for me it seems to me there is a trick since we don't have the initial energy of the incident particle!

I can't start solving without knowing the energy of the incident particle! any help please!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What are you trying to solve that equation for? You are given everything except the initial energy. Solve for that and use it to find the initial speed of the neutron.

Yes this is the trick now!
we need to find the minimum energy (in eV) of the neutron to displace two Zr in a row
what i can do is as follow:

total incident neutron energy is equal E, transferred energy to the target is T, neutron energy after scattering is Q, so that totat energy is :

E=T+Q

BUT here i lost what do you think about my idea

1. What is elastic scattering?

Elastic scattering is a type of scattering process in which the kinetic energy of the particles is conserved before and after the collision. This means that the particles involved do not lose or gain any energy during the interaction.

2. How is elastic scattering different from inelastic scattering?

Elastic scattering differs from inelastic scattering in that inelastic scattering involves a transfer of energy between the colliding particles, resulting in a change in their kinetic energy. This change in energy can be in the form of heat, light, or other forms of energy.

3. What is T, Zr, and E(initial) in the context of elastic scattering?

T, Zr, and E(initial) are variables that are used to describe the characteristics of the particles involved in an elastic scattering process. T represents the temperature of the particles, Zr represents the atomic number of the scattering target, and E(initial) represents the initial energy of the incident particles.

4. How is elastic scattering used in scientific research?

Elastic scattering is commonly used in scientific research to study the properties and interactions of particles, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It can also be used to analyze the structure and composition of materials.

5. What factors can affect the outcome of elastic scattering?

The outcome of elastic scattering can be influenced by various factors, including the speed and direction of the particles, the properties of the scattering target, and the angle of collision between the particles. Other external factors, such as temperature and pressure, can also play a role in the outcome of elastic scattering.