How to integrate partial differential eqn

In summary, the conversation discusses the integration of an equation involving g(cos(x))=r(dx/dt)^2. The individual is having trouble with the squared term and is seeking advice on any tricks that could be used. They mention attempting to integrate 1/(cos(x))^(1/2) and considering multiplying by (dx/dt). Another person points out that the equation may be incorrect as it does not account for the tension acting radially. They suggest using Newton's second law to find theta(t) and then using F=ma to solve for the tension. The original person clarifies their equation and their goal of finding an answer with theta-not components.
agalea91

Homework Statement

im not sure the elegant way to put it, i need to integrate this somehow (ie, throw over the dt and integrate each side) but that squared is really tripping me up. is there a trick i should be using?
-g(cos(x))=r(dx/dt)^2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

my attempt was initially to integrate 1/(cos(x))^(1/2), that is not pretty

i heard classmates talking about multiplying though by (dx/dt), not sure if that applies

any help appreciated, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Where did this equation come from?

Im solving for the tension in a pendulum, right now I am equating the radial accel with the force of gravity to try and integrate to something with a theta-not (representing the max amplitude of the pendulum) and theta (t). Hope that makes some sense

Your equation looks wrong since it suggests the only force in the radial direction is gravity, but the tension also acts radially.

You'd be better off integrating Newton's second law to find ##\theta(t)##, and then use F=ma to solve for the tension.

You're right, the full radial equation as I have it is this,

T=mgcos(theta)+mL(dtheta/dt)^2

My hope was that in integrating the right half independently of the tension then I could make a substitution (from the result of that integration, into the full equation) that would allow me to have an answer with theta-not component(s)

1. What is a partial differential equation (PDE)?

A partial differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves partial derivatives of an unknown function with respect to multiple independent variables. It describes the relationship between the function and its derivatives, and is often used to model physical phenomena in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. Why do we need to integrate PDEs?

Integrating PDEs allows us to find the solution to the equation, which can be used to make predictions or analyze the behavior of a system. In many cases, PDEs cannot be solved analytically and must be integrated numerically using computational methods.

3. What are the different methods of integrating PDEs?

There are several methods for integrating PDEs, including separation of variables, Fourier transforms, and finite difference methods. The choice of method depends on the type of PDE and the boundary conditions of the problem.

4. What are some common applications of PDEs?

PDEs have a wide range of applications, including modeling heat transfer, fluid dynamics, quantum mechanics, and population dynamics. They are also used in financial mathematics to model stock prices and option pricing.

5. Is it possible to solve any PDE analytically?

No, not all PDEs can be solved analytically. In fact, most PDEs do not have closed-form solutions and must be integrated numerically. However, there are certain special cases where PDEs can be solved analytically, such as linear PDEs with constant coefficients.