Empirical data regarding shower heads and water

• Thread starter AstroWave
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Data Water
In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the convective heat transfer coefficient for steam from a hot shower, specifically focusing on the vaporization of water in the shower. The participants mention using references and techniques to calculate the heat transfer coefficient and determine the fraction of water in vapor form. They also discuss the temperature and pressure of the water coming out of the shower and how it affects the evaporation process. The participants also mention using a y-x table to find the specific temperature and pressure, and that water can evaporate at any temperature as long as its partial pressure is below boiling pressure.
AstroWave
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone can direct me to references or techniques in calculating the convective heat transfer coefficient for steam from a hot shower. It’s a standard showerhead emitting 2.5gpm with an average temperature of about 107.5 F.

Also how much of the water coming out of the showerhead vaporizes?

Engineering news on Phys.org
bump...bump..

no takers yet?

i too have been curious and think of this every time i fog up the bathroom.
My Dad was a meteorologist and I remember him saying that evaporation rates were a complex calculation.

So, being as I'm real simple minded i would have to look at end points and approximate.

i guess the upper limit would be when volume of bathroom is filled with saturated steam at temperature of shower...

from steam tables that'd be .0035 lb/ft^3 of water vapor in a 300 cubic foot bathroom, let's see , .0035 X 300 would be about a pound of water
partial pressure of steam would be close to 1 psia the other 13.7 psi is air of course.

thereafter water from showerhead could only evaporate further at same rate as it condenses out on mirror and walls.

the heat of vaporization of water at that temperature is near 1032 BTU/lb

so if it takes ten minutes to get the bathroom completely warmed and saturated
that's 1032 BTU in 1/6 hour; rate of heat addition = 6192 BTU/hr = 1.81 kilowatts.
Afterward it would slow down to some value set by heat flow out of room, if through the drywall maybe 0.9 BTU/ft^2/hour per degree across drywall??

For me that'd be a sanity check on a more exact algorithm.

maybe somebody with better thermo background knows of an equation..

old jim

Thank you for the response Jim.

I was wondering if there is a way to calculate which fraction of that water is in vapor form. I was thinking about using a y-x table, since its saturated at that point. Perhaps I can find a y-x table at that specific temp and pressure...

now that I think about it the temperature 107.5 F is below the boiling point for water. Is that because the water coming out of the shower head is at a low pressure?

AstroWave said:
Thank you for the response Jim.

I was wondering if there is a way to calculate which fraction of that water is in vapor form. I was thinking about using a y-x table, since its saturated at that point. Perhaps I can find a y-x table at that specific temp and pressure...

I usually use the steam table at boilerroomservices.com, but a google returns plenty of them. You want the saturated table.

[ QUOTE]now that I think about it the temperature 107.5 F is below the boiling point for water. Is that because the water coming out of the shower head is at a low pressure?[/QUOTE]

remember that water evaporates at any temperature if its partial pressure is below boiling pressure(aka saturation) for that temperature. 212 is just the point at which water's partial pressure is one whole atmosphere. Ice will evaporate in a good enough vacuum.

Last edited:
That helps a lot! Thank you!

1. What is empirical data?

Empirical data is information that is collected through direct observation or experimentation, rather than through theory or speculation. It is considered to be objective and reliable because it is based on actual measurements and observations.

2. Why is empirical data important for studying shower heads and water?

Empirical data allows us to gather concrete evidence about the performance and efficiency of shower heads and how they impact water usage. This data can help inform decisions about conservation efforts and improving shower head design.

3. How is empirical data collected for studying shower heads and water?

Empirical data can be collected through various methods such as surveys, field experiments, laboratory experiments, and data analysis. In the case of studying shower heads and water, data can be collected by measuring water flow rate, pressure, temperature, and other factors.

4. What can we learn from empirical data about shower heads and water usage?

Empirical data can provide insights into the efficiency, performance, and impact of shower heads on water usage. It can also help identify patterns and trends in water usage and inform efforts to conserve water and improve shower head design.

5. Are there any limitations to using empirical data for studying shower heads and water?

While empirical data is considered to be reliable and objective, it is not without limitations. The data collected may be influenced by external factors such as human error, sample size, and environmental conditions. It is important to consider these limitations when interpreting and using empirical data for studying shower heads and water.