Help finding data for specific volume of ethanol in a water mixture?

In summary, the conversation is about the difficulty in finding theoretical or scientifically accepted values for the specific volumes of water and ethanol components in an ethanol-water mixture. The speaker has searched extensively but has not found any readily available data and is seeking help from others. They suggest looking for density data as an alternative comparison.
mitcho
I have just done a lab on measuring the change in volume of an ethanol-water mixture. One of our tasks is to use the intercept method to determine the specific volumes of both the water and ethanol components at certain concentrations using a tangent line. I have the tangent line at 50% concentration but I am having trouble finding anything theoretical or scientifically accepted values for this specific volume to compare with.
Would anyone know of any readily available ones on the internet, I swear I have looked everywhere?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
mitcho said:
I have just done a lab on measuring the change in volume of an ethanol-water mixture. One of our tasks is to use the intercept method to determine the specific volumes of both the water and ethanol components at certain concentrations using a tangent line. I have the tangent line at 50% concentration but I am having trouble finding anything theoretical or scientifically accepted values for this specific volume to compare with.
Would anyone know of any readily available ones on the internet, I swear I have looked everywhere?
Thanks
I don't think you are going to find literature data on the partial molar volumes of water and ethanol as a function of concentration. However, there is abundant data on the densities of ethanol-water solutions in the literature as a function of concentration that you can compare with.

1. How can I find data for the specific volume of ethanol in a water mixture?

There are several sources where you can find data for the specific volume of ethanol in a water mixture. One option is to search for research articles or studies on the topic. Another option is to use online databases, such as the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) Chemistry WebBook, which provides data on the properties of various substances.

2. Is there a specific formula or equation for calculating the specific volume of ethanol in a water mixture?

Yes, there are several equations that can be used to calculate the specific volume of ethanol in a water mixture. One commonly used equation is the Gibbs-Duhem equation, which takes into account the molar volume and mole fractions of the components. Other equations, such as the Antoine equation, can also be used to estimate the specific volume of a mixture.

3. How do I account for changes in temperature and pressure when finding data for the specific volume of a mixture?

When finding data for the specific volume of a mixture, it is important to consider the temperature and pressure conditions under which the data was measured. This information should be provided in the data source, and if not, it may be necessary to adjust the data using thermodynamic equations to account for temperature and pressure effects.

4. Are there any online tools or calculators available for finding data on the specific volume of ethanol in a water mixture?

Yes, there are several online tools and calculators available for finding data on the specific volume of ethanol in a water mixture. These tools often take into account temperature and pressure effects and can provide accurate and convenient results. Some examples include the NIST Chemistry WebBook and the Engineering Toolbox.

5. How can I ensure the accuracy and reliability of the data I find for the specific volume of ethanol in a water mixture?

To ensure the accuracy and reliability of the data you find for the specific volume of ethanol in a water mixture, it is important to use reputable sources and to consider the conditions under which the data was measured. It may also be helpful to compare data from multiple sources and to use calculations or estimations based on equations to verify the results.