Warning - phony phone calls

• Thread starter mathman
  • Start date
In summary, phony phone calls are fraudulent or deceptive calls that aim to scam or deceive the person answering the call. There are several red flags that can help identify a phony phone call, such as receiving a call from an unknown number or being asked for personal information or money. If you receive a suspicious call, it is best to end the call and report it to the authorities. To protect yourself from these calls, you can register on the National Do Not Call Registry and be cautious about giving out personal information. While it is difficult to completely stop phony phone calls, there are steps you can take to reduce the number of calls you receive, such as reporting suspicious calls and using call-blocking services.
mathman
Science Advisor
I recently received a phone call from someone claining to be a Microsoft (Windows?) technical support and told me something had to be done on my computer. I checked with Microsoft and they said they NEVER phone people about possible computer problems.

Computer science news on Phys.org
*crosses fingers and hopes they call me*

Trolling phonespam is the best.

1. What are phony phone calls?

Phony phone calls are fraudulent or deceptive phone calls in which the caller pretends to be someone else or misrepresents their intentions. These calls often involve attempts to scam or deceive the person answering the call.

2. How can I identify a phony phone call?

There are a few red flags that may indicate a phony phone call, such as receiving a call from an unknown or unfamiliar number, the caller asking for personal information or money, or the caller using high-pressure tactics or threatening language. If you are unsure, it is always best to err on the side of caution and end the call.

3. What should I do if I receive a phony phone call?

If you receive a suspicious phone call, do not provide any personal information or money. Hang up the call and report it to your local authorities or the Federal Trade Commission (FTC). You can also block the number to prevent further calls.

4. How can I protect myself from phony phone calls?

To protect yourself from phony phone calls, you can register your phone number on the National Do Not Call Registry, which will reduce the number of telemarketing calls you receive. You can also be cautious about providing personal information over the phone and avoid answering calls from unknown or suspicious numbers.

5. Can phony phone calls be stopped?

While it is difficult to completely stop phony phone calls, there are steps you can take to reduce the number of calls you receive. As mentioned, registering on the National Do Not Call Registry can help, as well as being cautious with your personal information and reporting any suspicious calls. Additionally, some phone service providers offer call-blocking services to their customers.