Pressure formula for materials?

Additionally, the equation pV = NkbT can be used to determine the pressure in a system, but it will not tell you which material is best to use. In summary, there is no single formula or list that can determine the best material to use for a specific pressure, but consulting an expert or researching the properties of materials can help in making a decision.
josephrygaard
Hi! Just checking reeally quick if there is any known formula for calculating out pressure on different materials. I have looked around on Google and son on but I haven't find one yet. The thing is: I have a pressure value in Pascal which I'm going to pump into a spheric material. And I wonder if there is any formula or list that shows me which is the best material to use if I don't want it to break or "pop".

I have the values from pV = NkbT.

Oh, by the way, if I posted this under the wrong sub-forum, don't hate me, right? And this is NOT a howework problem, though it sounds as one.

// Joseph

Physics news on Phys.org
ineUnfortunately, there is not an exact formula that can be used to calculate the pressure on different materials. Different materials have different properties and will react differently under the same pressure. Your best bet would be to consult a materials engineer or look up the mechanical properties of the material you are considering using and determine if it can withstand the pressure you plan to apply.

1. What is the pressure formula for materials?

The pressure formula for materials is P = F/A, where P is pressure, F is force, and A is the area over which the force is applied. This formula is used to calculate the amount of force per unit area that a material is subjected to.

2. How is pressure related to material strength?

Pressure is directly related to material strength. The higher the pressure on a material, the more force it must withstand, and therefore the stronger the material must be. This is why materials used for high-pressure applications, such as in airplanes or hydraulic systems, are carefully chosen for their strength and durability.

3. Can the pressure formula be used for all types of materials?

Yes, the pressure formula can be used for all types of materials, including solids, liquids, and gases. However, it is important to note that the formula may need to be modified for different states of matter. For example, for gases, the pressure formula includes temperature and volume as well.

4. How is pressure different from stress?

Pressure and stress are closely related but have distinct differences. Pressure is the force per unit area that a material is subjected to, while stress is the force per unit area that a material experiences internally. Pressure is typically applied externally, while stress is a measure of the internal response of a material to an external force.

5. How is pressure measured for materials?

Pressure can be measured in various units, such as Pascals (Pa), pounds per square inch (psi), or atmospheres (atm). The specific unit of measurement depends on the type of material and the application. Pressure can be measured using specialized instruments such as pressure gauges or manometers.