Pressure loss rate as related to pipe leak volume?

In summary: Therefore, the leak rate would be 5 CF per second. In summary, to calculate the leak rate in CF, you can use the equation (Pipe Volume * Pressure Drop Rate) / Time, where the pipe volume and pressure drop rate are known values and time is the time taken for the air to reach the leak.
leakwhisperer
Greetings! I locate buried water pipe leaks (simplyleakdetection.biz) however attempting to approach more mathematically. I often isolate the leaking pipe and insert air pressure at one end. The leak is represented by the pressure drop rate as viewed on the air gauge when isolated from the compressor. Known values are pipe length and diameter giving to pipe volume. Once the air reaches the pipe leak, the pressure drop rate significantly increases thus showing another known value in terms of time. There must be a way to calculate leak rate in CF as related to pressure drop...this is my quest for help. Knowing the pipe volume in CF per linear foot of pipe distance (which I can calculate) and knowing the leak rate in CF (which I need your help), I can then calculate the approximate distance from the point of air insertion to the pipe leak once I know the time taken for the air to reach the leak. Is there a simple equation for this given simple kown values?
I thank you for your help. Michael

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, there is a simple equation for this given your known values. The equation is as follows:Leak rate (in CF) = (Pipe Volume * Pressure Drop Rate) / TimeFor example, if the pipe has a volume of 50 CF, a pressure drop rate of 0.5 psi/second, and takes 10 seconds to reach the leak, then the leak rate would be calculated as follows:Leak rate (in CF) = (50 CF * 0.5 psi/second) / 10 seconds Leak rate (in CF) = 5 CF/second

What is pressure loss rate?

Pressure loss rate refers to the decrease in pressure within a pipe due to factors such as friction, elevation changes, and leaks. It is typically measured in units of pressure per unit of length, such as pound-force per square inch per foot (psi/ft).

How is pressure loss rate related to pipe leak volume?

The pressure loss rate is directly related to the pipe leak volume. As the volume of water leaking from a pipe increases, the pressure loss rate also increases. This is because the leak creates an additional opening in the pipe, causing water to flow out at a faster rate and decreasing the pressure within the pipe.

What factors affect the pressure loss rate in a pipe?

The pressure loss rate in a pipe can be affected by several factors, including the diameter and length of the pipe, the type of material the pipe is made of, the flow rate of water, and the roughness of the pipe walls. Additionally, any bends, fittings, or obstructions in the pipe can also impact the pressure loss rate.

How is pressure loss rate calculated?

The pressure loss rate can be calculated using the Darcy-Weisbach equation, which takes into account factors such as pipe diameter, length, flow rate, and roughness. Alternatively, pressure loss rate can be measured experimentally by using pressure gauges along the length of the pipe to determine the change in pressure.

How can pressure loss rate be minimized?

Pressure loss rate can be minimized by ensuring that the pipe is properly sized and designed for the intended flow rate, using smooth and corrosion-resistant materials, and minimizing obstructions and bends in the pipe. Regular maintenance and repair of any leaks can also help reduce the pressure loss rate in a pipe system.