Atomic Force Microscopy data format

In summary: I'm assuming the format of the AFM output is standardised, as the software used to create the output is also GPL'd. However, I am unsure of what the format is.
lordchaos
I have recently started using an AFM machine, and have some issues with the way it saves the data. The people who maintain the machine haven't been very helpful with my concerns, so I'm hoping somebody here might be able to help me.
I have been using Gwyddion to display the raw data images, which are in TIFF format. Apologies, by the way, if I put this in the wrong place; I'm not entirely sure where microscopy topics are meant to go.

How is the data scaled? Presumably there is either a standard number of pixels per micron for all AFM images, or something within the image file header that tells the software how to treat it?

I am even more unsure of the depth data; I know it uses colour to represent it, but it seems odd that it is in 3 channels rather than just one. I briefly had a look at the pallete in matlab, and it appears that the channels don't vary together (e.g. one channel only begins to vary halfway through the palette), so I am not sure whether I can rely on the depth values I can see when looking at the image using Gwyddion. Am I missing something?

Physics news on Phys.org
The software used to control the AFM and produce the output was Park Systems' XEP. Since the GPL'd Gwyddion is able to view the files it created, I'm presuming the format of AFM ouput must be standardised... how can I find out what exactly this format is?

1. What is the Atomic Force Microscopy (AFM) data format?

The AFM data format is a file format used to store and analyze data collected from AFM experiments. It contains information about the surface topography and mechanical properties of a sample at the nanoscale level.

2. What type of data is included in AFM data format?

The AFM data format typically includes two types of data: topography data and force data. Topography data provides information about the surface features of the sample, while force data measures the interaction between the AFM probe and the sample surface.

3. How is AFM data format different from other microscopy data formats?

AFM data format is unique because it is a 3-dimensional data format, unlike traditional microscopy data formats which are 2-dimensional. This allows for more detailed analysis and visualization of the sample surface.

4. Can AFM data format be converted into other file formats?

Yes, AFM data format can be converted into various other file formats such as TIFF, JPEG, and ASCII. This allows for easier sharing and analysis of the data with different software programs.

5. Is there a standard AFM data format?

Yes, the Nanotechnology Standards Database (NSD) has established a standard AFM data format called the Open AFM File Format (OAFF). This allows for consistency and compatibility among different AFM systems and software programs.