Calculating the centre of mass of a U shaped conductor/Magnetic Field

In summary, the exercise asks for the calculation of the magnitude of the magnetic field in a U-shaped conductor with a linear density of mass, a horizontal length, and a vertical length. The approach involves using the definition of torque and finding the center of mass of the conductor. To do so, each rod can be replaced with a point particle and the center of mass can be calculated for the three particles.
Mathoholic!

Homework Statement

The exercise asks you to calculate the magnitude of the magnetic field ([itex]\vec{B}[/itex]=B[itex]\hat{z}[/itex]), knowing that the U shaped conductor is initially parallel to Oyz plane and then rotated around the y-axis to a stable position defined by θ (angle) with the vertical axis (z).

The U shaped conductor has a linear density of mass, ρ (g/cm), with a horizontal length d, and a vertical length L. There is also a flow of electric charge (I) traveling the conductor.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

To calculate the magnitude of the magnetic field I used the definition of torque (τ), equating the torque of gravity to the torque of the magnetic force so that the conductor is in equilibrium (θ). But to calculate the torque I have to know how to calculate its centre of mass, with which I'm having a hard time...

I'd appreciate some feedback on how to proceed in this exercise. :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If I'm understanding the set up, the U-shape conductor is made of three conducting rods. To find the center of mass: replace each rod by a point particle located at the center of the rod with mass equal to the mass of the rod. Then you just have to find the CM of the three particles.

TSny said:
If I'm understanding the set up, the U-shape conductor is made of three conducting rods. To find the center of mass: replace each rod by a point particle located at the center of the rod with mass equal to the mass of the rod. Then you just have to find the CM of the three particles.

Thanks, I've got it know :)

What is the center of mass of a U shaped conductor?

The center of mass of a U shaped conductor is the point where the weight of the conductor is evenly distributed, meaning that it is the point where the conductor would balance if it were placed on a pivot.

How do you calculate the center of mass of a U shaped conductor?

To calculate the center of mass of a U shaped conductor, you need to find the individual center of masses of the two halves of the conductor and then combine them using the formula: x = (m1x1 + m2x2) / (m1 + m2), where x is the position of the center of mass, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two halves, and x1 and x2 are the distances of the individual center of masses from the pivot point.

What factors affect the center of mass of a U shaped conductor?

The center of mass of a U shaped conductor is affected by the shape and size of the conductor, as well as the distribution of mass within the conductor. The location of the pivot point also plays a role in determining the center of mass.

Why is calculating the center of mass of a U shaped conductor important?

Calculating the center of mass of a U shaped conductor is important in understanding the balance and stability of the conductor. It also helps in determining the force exerted on the conductor when it is placed in a magnetic field.

How does the magnetic field affect the center of mass of a U shaped conductor?

The magnetic field can cause a force to act on the conductor, which can shift the position of the center of mass. This is because the force exerted by the magnetic field is dependent on the orientation and location of the conductor in the field.