FPGA-based computer adapting to being shot?

• Thread starter MATLABdude
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Computer
In summary, the conversation discussed the memory of a video from 5 to 8 years ago demonstrating the robustness of an FPGA-based computer system, possibly with a guy shooting at a board with a rifle or shotgun. The speaker also mentioned a similar advertisement from the 1980s where a computer manufacturer claimed their computer was "bullet proof" and would shoot their computers at trade shows.
MATLABdude
Science Advisor
Haven't been logging on to the ol' PF as of late, but I'm hoping that one of you may remember more details about something I seem to recall.

Probably a good 5 to 8 years ago, I recall there being a video somewhere (this preceded YouTube!) demonstrating the robustness of an FPGA-based computer system (as I recall). The video had a picture of a guy taking potshots at a board with a rifle or a shotgun, and with the claim that the computer was continuing to chug along and (if I recall correctly) and with the display continuing completely uninterrupted.

Would anybody recall the name of the company or research group behind this, or better yet, the video itself? My Google-fu is too weak to come up with anything, so perhaps I'm merely re-imagining the printer scene from Office Space?

Engineering news on Phys.org
So this question is 5 years old, but here goes...

You may be remembering something rather a lot older. In the 1980s, the computer manufacturer Tandem used to advertise a "bullet proof computer" because litreally every circuit occurred twice, and the oprating system retained enough history on its I/O that it could restart all th e running processes from the "other" malfunctioning processor if it was damaged. They would actually shoot their computers at trade shows (apparently, I never witnessed it) but it wwas considered pretty cool stuff at the time. (I was working at a database software outfit at the time, and getting interprocess communication (for db synchronization) was particularly complex in that computer)

-Jeff

1. How does an FPGA-based computer adapt to being shot?

When a bullet hits an FPGA-based computer, it triggers the built-in fail-safe mechanism which redirects power to a backup system. This allows the computer to continue functioning despite the damage caused by the bullet.

2. Can an FPGA-based computer withstand multiple shots?

Yes, FPGA-based computers are designed to withstand multiple shots due to their fail-safe mechanism. However, the number of shots it can withstand depends on the severity of the damage caused by each shot.

3. What happens if the bullet hits a critical component of the FPGA-based computer?

If the bullet hits a critical component of the FPGA-based computer, such as the processor or memory, it may cause the computer to shut down completely. In this case, the backup system will kick in and attempt to restore functionality.

4. How long does it take for the FPGA-based computer to adapt to being shot?

The fail-safe mechanism of an FPGA-based computer is designed to activate within milliseconds of being hit by a bullet. This quick response time helps to minimize downtime and ensure the computer can continue functioning.

5. Can an FPGA-based computer be repaired after being shot?

It is possible to repair an FPGA-based computer after it has been shot, depending on the severity of the damage. However, it may require specialized equipment and expertise, so it is recommended to consult with a professional before attempting any repairs.