What is the Interval for Increasing Function y=x+sinxcosx?

• Thread starter Kamataat
  • Start date
In summary, the function y=x+\sin x\cos x is increasing on the open interval X^{\uparrow}=]-\infty;\infty[ and can be described as strictly increasing on X^\uparrow=\mathbb{R}\ \backslash\ (\pm\pi/2+\pi n), where n\in\mathbb{Z}. This is because the derivative of the function is never negative at any point, and thus the function is strictly increasing or decreasing. To determine which, the values of x=-50 and x=30 are used to compare the corresponding y values. The function is found to be strictly increasing because y_1 < y_2 when x_1 < x_2.
Kamataat
Find the interval in which the function [itex]y=x+\sin x\cos x[/itex] is increasing. So, first I differentiated to get [itex]y'=1+\cos 2x[/itex]. Then I set [itex]y'[/itex] equal to zero:

[tex]1+\cos 2x=0[/tex]
[tex]\cos 2x=-1[/tex]
[tex]2x=\pm \arccos m+2n\pi[/tex], where [tex]n\in\mathbb{Z}[/tex]
[tex]2x=\pm \arccos(-1)+2n\pi[/tex]
[tex]2x=\pm\pi+2n\pi[/tex]
[tex]x=\pm\frac{\pi}{2}+n\pi[/tex]

So, since [itex]y'=0[/itex] is true only at certain points (because [itex]n\in\mathbb{Z}[/itex]), we know that the function is strictly increasing or decreasing. To find out which, we do this:

[tex]x_1=-50 : y(x_1)=y_1=-49.75[/tex]
[tex]x_2=30 : y(x_2)=y_2=29.85[/tex]

Thus the function is strictly increasing because in the case of [itex]x_1 < x_2[/itex] we have [itex]y_1 < y_2[/itex].

So the function is increasing on the open interval [itex]X^{\uparrow}=]-\infty;\infty[[/itex].

Is this correct?

- Kamataat

Physics news on Phys.org
True,the derivative is never negative...But you can't say that the function's increasing on R,you'll have to exclude the infinite amount of points where it is zero...:wink:

Daniel.

So it's strictly increasing on [itex]X^\uparrow=\mathbb{R}\ \backslash\ (\pm\pi/2+\pi n)[/itex], where [itex]n\in\mathbb{Z}[/itex]?

- Kamataat

Remove the minus,if the "n" is integer,automatically the value [itex] -\frac{\pi}{2} [/itex] is assumed.

Daniel.

ok, but why is -pi/2 assumed if n is an integer? is there a mathematical reason or is it just agreed on by mathematicians?

- Kamataat

Take "n=-1" in the "plus" formula...

Daniel.

I fail to see why this should create a problem :confused: .

- Kamataat

Because mathematicians like to count the DISTINCT elements of a set ONLY ONCE...

Daniel.

yeah, i know that. but i don't get why i have to assume it's a "minus" and not a "plus". wouldn't n=1 in the "minus" formula cause the same problem as n=-1 in the "plus" formula?

- Kamataat

You can of course use the minus version rather then the plus version. But, as Daniel said, to use both is redundant (and hence, not well liked).
Stick to the one you like best (most would prefer the plus version).

ok, that's how i understand it. i just got confused, because i thought he meant to use only the "minus" version. thanks anyway, both of you!

- Kamataat

1. Is this correct?

The answer to this question depends on what "this" refers to. In science, we use evidence and data to determine if something is correct. It is important to critically evaluate the information and sources before concluding if something is correct.

2. How do you know if something is correct?

As scientists, we use the scientific method to determine if something is correct. This involves making observations, formulating a hypothesis, conducting experiments, and analyzing data. The results of these experiments help us determine if something is correct.

3. Can something be correct in one context but incorrect in another?

Yes, something can be considered correct in one context but incorrect in another. This is because scientific knowledge is constantly evolving and can change based on new evidence or perspectives. It is important to critically evaluate the context in which something is being considered correct.

4. How do you correct a mistake in science?

When a mistake is found in science, it is important to reevaluate the evidence and data to determine the correct information. This can involve repeating experiments, analyzing new data, or adjusting previous conclusions. Scientists also rely on peer-review and collaboration to identify and correct mistakes.

5. Is there a way to prove something is 100% correct?

In science, we do not use the word "prove" as it implies absolute certainty. Instead, we use evidence and data to support a hypothesis or conclusion. This means that something can be considered correct based on the available evidence, but it is always subject to change as new information is discovered.