Electronics engineering physics guidance

In summary, the speaker is a new member from Mexico studying electronics engineering and is seeking advice on which topics in physics to focus on for their career choice. They have taken classical mechanics and are currently taking "General physics" with plans to take electromagnetism and physics of semiconductors in the next semester. The speaker is wondering which branches of physics they should pay special attention to and be proficient in. Another member, Jason, suggests that all topics are important but for an electrical engineer, electricity and magnetism, waves, optics, and semiconductors are crucial. They also mention that basic thermodynamics and mechanics can also be helpful. The speaker asks for Jason's toughest subject as a student and Jason mentions that Circuits has a
bojorquez.dg
Greetings, new member here from Mexico. :)
I'm currently in 2nd Semester in electronics engineering and looking for some advice on what topics in physics I should emphasize for my career choice. 1st semester I took classical mechanics (units,vectors,1D motion, 2D motion, work were some topics covered) and now I'm currently taking "General physics" we just covered a little bit of fluids and thermodynamics and we'll study waves and optics. Next semester I'll take electromagnetism and physics of semiconductors. Of the physics I have taken as of now I don't remember by memory some formulas or some topics but can apply them if I re read a little bit, what would be the branches of physics I should pay special attention to and be really good at? Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would say that you should learn essentially all of it - not the answer you want, I know. To narrow it down, as an electrical engineer myself I would say that the topics you will likely need the most are: electricity and magnetism, waves, optics, and semiconductors. However, basic thermo can help you be more comfortable with things like thermal analysis of circuits (how big of a heat sink do I need on this transistor so it does't burn up?), and mechanics comes up more than you might think so being comfortable with at least F=ma and basic rotational dynamics can come in handy. There is a reason why these courses are required!

best of luck,

jason

Thanks for sharing your experience Jason, as a side question, which subject were some of the toughest one you took as a student? I'm curious because in the college I'm attending and the other colleges around that offer electronics engineering, Circuits seems to have a bad reputation. Thanks again.

1. What is electronics engineering physics?

Electronics engineering physics is a branch of engineering that combines the principles of electronics and physics to design, develop, and optimize electronic devices and systems. It involves the study of how electricity and magnetism interact with materials, circuits, and devices to create useful technologies.

2. What skills are needed to become an electronics engineering physicist?

To become an electronics engineering physicist, you will need a strong foundation in physics and mathematics, as well as knowledge of electronic circuit design, programming, and problem-solving. Good communication and teamwork skills are also important for working in a collaborative engineering environment.

3. What are some common applications of electronics engineering physics?

Electronics engineering physics has a wide range of applications, including the design and development of electronic devices such as smartphones, computers, and medical equipment. It is also used in fields such as telecommunications, aerospace, and renewable energy.

4. How does electronics engineering physics contribute to the advancement of technology?

Electronics engineering physics plays a crucial role in the advancement of technology by providing the fundamental understanding and tools necessary to design and optimize electronic devices and systems. It allows for the development of new technologies and improvements to existing ones, making our lives more efficient and convenient.

5. What are some current challenges in electronics engineering physics?

Some current challenges in electronics engineering physics include improving the efficiency and sustainability of electronic devices, reducing their size and cost, and developing new materials and technologies to push the boundaries of what is possible. Additionally, addressing the ethical and societal implications of new technologies is also an important challenge for electronics engineering physicists.