The difference between the limits of two Cauchy Sequences

In summary: the metric is continuous on the product topology associated with the topology induced by the metric (the one generated by the base of open balls of the metric).
ANphysics
Lets say that we have two Cauchy sequences {fi} and {gi} such that the sequence {fi} converges to a limit F and the sequence {gi} converges to a limit G. Then it can easily be shown that the sequence defined by
{ d(fi, gi) } is also Cauchy.

But is it true that this sequence, { d(fi, gi) }, converges to the limit d(F,G) ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it is. If [itex]\{f_i\}[/itex] converges to F then, given any [itex]\epsilon> 0[/itex], there exist N such that if n> N then [itex]|f_n- F|< \epsilon/2[/itex]. If [itex]\{g_i\}[/itex] converges to G then, given any [itex]\epsilon> 0[/itex], there exist M such that if n> M, then [itex]|g_n- G|< \epsilon/2[/itex].

Given any [itex]\epsilon> 0[/itex] if n> the larger of M and N, we have [itex]|(f_i- g_i)- (F- G)|\le |f_i- F|+ |g_i- G|< \epsilon[/itex].

But aren't you assuming here that distance is defined to be the absolute value of the difference between two elements. Is this true in general for any metric space?

For example, we can consider the vector space of all functions defined on [0,1] and define an inner product to be < f(x), g(x)> = ∫f(x)g(x)dx and a distance function to be
d(f(x),g(x))= (∫(f-g)(f-g)dx)1/2. So in general when you have a metric space, but you don't necessarily know what that distance function is, can this statement be derived from the definition of metric space?

Last edited:
ANphysics said:
But aren't you assuming here that distance is defined to be the absolute value of the difference between two elements. Is this true in general for any metric space?

For example, we can consider the vector space of all functions defined on [0,1] and define an inner product to be < f(x), g(x)> = ∫f(x)g(x)dx and a distance function to be
d(f(x),g(x))= (∫(f-g)(f-g)dx)1/2. So in general when you have a metric space, but you don't necessarily know what that distance function is, can this statement be derived from the definition of metric space?
Let's consider a discrete metric, which I shall denote r(x,y), and the case that ##F=G##, but ##f_i\neq g_i##. Then, the limit of ##\{r(f_i,g_i)\}## converges to 1, but ##r(F,G)=0##.

As a fun little exercise, consider what happens when the metric is continuous. :tongue:

Mandelbroth said:
Let's consider a discrete metric, which I shall denote r(x,y), and the case that ##F=G##, but ##f_i\neq g_i##. Then, the limit of ##\{r(f_i,g_i)\}## converges to 1, but ##r(F,G)=0##.
But if the metric is discrete, then ##f_i \rightarrow F## implies that ##f_i = F## for sufficiently large ##i##, and similarly ##g_i = G## for sufficiently large ##i##. Therefore we must eventually have ##f_i = F = G = g_i## if ##i## is large enough.

The question is whether the distance metric ##d## is a continuous function. This is true in any metric space. To see this, let ##\epsilon > 0##, and note that ##f_i \rightarrow F## and ##g_i \rightarrow G## imply that for sufficiently large ##i##, we have ##d(f_i, F) < \epsilon/2## and ##d(g_i, G) < \epsilon / 2##.

Now we just play around with the triangle inequality to get what we need. First note the triangle inequality for real numbers gives us
$$|d(f_i, g_i) - d(F, G)| \leq |d(f_i, g_i) - d(f_i, G)| + |d(f_i, G) - d(F,G)|$$
But the triangle inequality for the metric ##d## gives us
$$|d(f_i, g_i) - d(f_i, G)| \leq d(g_i, G)$$
and
$$|d(f_i, G) - d(F,G)| \leq d(f_i, F)$$
so the first inequality becomes
$$|d(f_i, g_i) - d(F, G)| \leq d(f_i, F) + d(g_i, G)$$
which is bounded above by ##\epsilon/2 + \epsilon/2 = \epsilon## for sufficiently large ##i##.

Mandelbroth said:
Metrics do not necessarily imply anything about a metric space. For example, consider using the discrete metric on the set of real numbers, since it can be applied to any nonempty set.
I guess I'm not seeing your point. The counterexample you offered does not work, for the reason I noted, regardless of what underlying set is given the discrete metric. Any convergent sequence under the discrete metric must be eventually constant. Therefore two convergent sequences with the same limit must be eventually equal to each other.

The only convergent sequences in a discrete topological (not just metric) space are the ones that are eventually constant. This is what my significant other jbun has pointed out.

The metric is certainly continuous on the product topology associated with the topology induced by the metric (the one generated by the base of open balls of the metric):
http://www.proofwiki.org/wiki/Metric_is_Continuous
http://math.stackexchange.com/quest...s-continuous-where-d-is-a-metric-defined-on-x

Last edited:
jbunniii said:
I guess I'm not seeing your point. The counterexample you offered does not work, for the reason I noted, regardless of what underlying set is given the discrete metric. Any convergent sequence under the discrete metric must be eventually constant. Therefore two convergent sequences with the same limit must be eventually equal to each other.
My apologies. I forgot that Cauchy sequences are defined by a metric when not working with real numbers. I was talking nonsense, so there was no point to see. :redface:

My significant other jbun says there is no need to apologize.

If I had a dollar for every time I've spoken nonsense, I could afford to buy WBN a pony.

I want a pony :[

Do the girls come with the shirts as a package deal? xP

What are Cauchy Sequences?

Cauchy sequences are infinite sequences of numbers in which the difference between any two terms becomes arbitrarily small as the sequence progresses. They are named after the French mathematician Augustin-Louis Cauchy and are commonly used in the study of real analysis and calculus.

What is the difference between the limits of two Cauchy Sequences?

The difference between the limits of two Cauchy sequences is that one is the upper bound and the other is the lower bound. In other words, the limit of a Cauchy sequence is the smallest number that the sequence approaches as it progresses, while the limit of its difference is the largest number that the sequence approaches.

How are Cauchy Sequences used in mathematics?

Cauchy sequences are used in mathematics to define the concept of a real number and to rigorously prove the convergence of infinite series. They are also useful in the study of metric spaces and continuity of functions.

What is the importance of understanding the limits of Cauchy Sequences?

Understanding the limits of Cauchy sequences is essential in many areas of mathematics, including real analysis, calculus, and topology. It allows us to define and work with real numbers and to prove the convergence of infinite series, which are fundamental concepts in mathematics.

What is the relationship between Cauchy Sequences and the Cauchy Criterion?

The Cauchy Criterion states that a sequence of real numbers is convergent if and only if it is a Cauchy sequence. This means that if the difference between any two terms in a sequence becomes arbitrarily small as the sequence progresses, then the sequence will converge to a single limit. Therefore, the Cauchy Criterion is a useful tool for determining the convergence of sequences and series.