Job stability and money in experimental physics and for postdocs

In summary, the speaker is a senior undergraduate student majoring in physics who has tried internships in astronomy and materials science, but did not enjoy them. They prefer the theory behind astrophysics but not programming, and enjoy the experimental aspect of materials science but find the theory dry. They are interested in branching out into other fields, but are concerned about job stability and the possibility of being a permanent post-doc. They have heard that post-docs make anywhere from 30k-50k per year, while industry scientists can make 90k+ per year. They are willing to make less money in a field they enjoy, but also want to make enough to support themselves and potentially help their family in retirement. They are also aware that
pinkfishegg
I'm in my last year of college as an undergraduate physics B.S. and have so far tried astronomy and materials science research internships and haven't liked either of them that much. I enjoy the theory behind astrophysics but don't enjoy programming all day. On the other hand, I like the experimental aspect of materials science but find the theory behind it dry and technical. Because of this I don't think I'd like condensed matter physics or solid state physics very much and want to branch out into all of the other fields. I've heard though, that those fields have less job stability and a lot of people end up being permanent post-docs while trying to get into academia since a lot of fields are useless for industry. How much do post-docs make? I've heard it's anywhere from 30k-50k per year and some people just become post-docs and industry scientists make 90K+ per year. Is it always easy to get post-doc positions? I feel like I'd rather work in a field I really like than make more money but I want to make sure I have enough to live off of. My family makes about 30K per year and used to make like 50K per year so from my perspective 50K for one person is a lot of money. However, I'm worried about unemployment later in life and want to make enough so I can help my parents in their retirement.

Physics news on Phys.org
In HEP, somewhere between 50 and 75% of the graduates get postdocs. This number varies by subfield. Postdocs are typically 3 years long, and people usually do one or two of them.

1. What is the average salary for an experimental physicist?

The average salary for an experimental physicist can vary depending on factors such as location, experience, and field of study. However, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual salary for physicists in 2020 was $129,910.

2. How does job stability in experimental physics compare to other fields?

Job stability in experimental physics can vary, but overall, it is considered to be a relatively stable field. The demand for experimental physicists is expected to grow at a rate of 4% from 2019 to 2029, which is about as fast as the average for all occupations.

3. Are postdocs in experimental physics typically paid well?

The pay for postdocs in experimental physics can vary depending on the institution and funding source. However, postdocs are typically paid a competitive salary that can range from $50,000 to $70,000 per year.

4. What opportunities for career advancement are available in experimental physics?

There are many opportunities for career advancement in experimental physics, including moving into a research position at a university or national laboratory, pursuing a management or leadership role, or even starting your own research group.

5. Is it common for experimental physicists to receive funding for their research?

Yes, it is common for experimental physicists to receive funding for their research. This can come from various sources such as government grants, private organizations, and university funding. However, competition for funding can be high, so it is important for experimental physicists to have a strong research proposal and track record.