Uncertainties in gradients and best-fit lines

In summary, the speaker is a second year university student studying geophysics who is working on a fieldwork project involving refraction seismology. They are trying to find the velocity at which a wave travels through the ground using a best-fit line and need to propagate their errors to find the inverse of the gradient. They also want to find the y-intercept and its error. They have a basic understanding of statistics and have attached a graph of their data. They mention the use of total least squares regression and clarify the term "uncertainty" in their measurements. They are unsure about the source of the numbers for uncertainty.
Downwinds
Hi, I hope I'm asking this in the right place. I need to understand this in order to complete a project, but it's not exactly a 'homework question'.

I have some data which has a linear trend. The x values all have the same (random) uncertainty of ≈5cm and the y values all have the same random uncertainty of ≈0.5ms
I've got all my data plotted on graphs using a spreadsheet, which can put a best-fit line (of the form y=mx+c) through the points and tell me the equation of the line. I need to be able to propagate my errors through though, as I need to find the inverse of the gradient and the error associated with that in order to get the result I'm interested in. I also want to find the y value at which the best fit line crosses a certain x value (ie. the y-intercept) and its error.

I have a very basic understanding of statistics - standard deviation, averages, simple error propagation, and I understand that the best-fit lines are found using linear regression.

I've attached one of my graphs.

Background:
I'm in my second year of university, studying geophysics. This is my first fieldwork project which is a refraction seismology survey, and I'm interested in finding out the velocity at which the wave travels through the ground (velocity = 1000/gradient, in these graphs). In the graph I've posted, the source of the waves is at 48 m and the graph shows the wave traveling in forward and backward directions and refracting in response to subsurface changes.

Attachments

• New Bitmap Image.jpg
    New Bitmap Image.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 536
Physics news on Phys.org
A simple regression program is liable to assume that there are no errors in the X data and that all random errors happen in the Y data. If you want to do a least squares fit in a case where both the X and Y data have random errors, you could consider "total least squares" regression. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Total_least_squares

"Uncertainty" is not a precisely defined term in statistics, but often people in physics use it to mean "standard deviation". Where are your getting the numbers you gave for the uncertainty in the measurement? Are they from the specifications for the measuring equipment that was used? (We have to distinguish among "sample standard deviations" and "population standard deviations" and "estimators of population standard deviations".)

What are uncertainties in gradients and best-fit lines?

Uncertainties in gradients and best-fit lines refer to the potential errors or deviations in the slope (gradient) and equation of the line that is used to represent a set of data points.

Why are uncertainties in gradients and best-fit lines important to consider?

Uncertainties in gradients and best-fit lines are important because they can affect the accuracy and reliability of the data analysis and conclusions drawn from the data. It is important to know the potential errors and limitations in the data before making any conclusions.

How are uncertainties in gradients and best-fit lines calculated?

Uncertainties in gradients and best-fit lines are typically calculated using statistical methods, such as regression analysis, to determine the standard error of the slope and intercept of the line. This takes into account the variability and scatter of the data points.

What factors can contribute to uncertainties in gradients and best-fit lines?

There are several factors that can contribute to uncertainties in gradients and best-fit lines, such as measurement errors, outliers, and the type of regression model used. It is important to carefully consider and address these factors in order to minimize uncertainties.

How can uncertainties in gradients and best-fit lines be minimized?

To minimize uncertainties in gradients and best-fit lines, it is important to use accurate and precise measurement techniques, identify and remove any outliers that may skew the data, and use appropriate regression models that best fit the data. It is also helpful to conduct multiple trials and average the results to reduce random errors.